News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

English copper help, please.

Started by brandm24, June 18, 2020, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

Unfortunately, this coin is heavily worn and I can't identify it. It measures 27 mm but appears to have either clipped or worn edges that make it smaller than it should be. My closest guess would be George l farthing or halfpenny, but that's probably not right. The reverse is completely smooth.

This is the best photo I could get of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Henk

Figleaf

Agreed. Apart from GEOR, the legend is still readable. Now, your next question is undoubtedly who wanted the king's neck hacked? My guess is Fergus McIvor, whose own neck was treated similarly.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: Henk on June 18, 2020, 07:57:12 PM
George III 1770's halfpenny
Thank you, Henk. I missed that one while doing my search.

Quote from: Figleaf on June 18, 2020, 08:24:32 PM
Agreed. Apart from GEOR, the legend is still readable. Now, your next question is undoubtedly who wanted the king's neck hacked? My guess is Fergus McIvor, whose own neck was treated similarly.

It certainly was, Peter. It's kind of scary that you're starting to read my mind. :o

So you think it was a Highlander? Does the name Annie McIvor ring any bells? Once came across an old copper with that name stamped on it. A real person, I suppose, but someone I couldn't identify.

Many thanks to both of you.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Look who's mentioned here (third row, fourth from left), but without the I.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

That's the same coin I was thinking of. I'd forgotten where I'd seen it but thought it was an old copper in the Fitzwillian Museum collection. Interestingly, all coins in the lot are Irish Troubles counterstamps so I assumed this one was too. I still don't know for sure.

Sorry for the mistake. Thought her name was spelled "Annie".

Hate when I make a mistake... last one was in 1984. :wall:

Bruce
Always Faithful