News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Afghanistan, ½ Rupee

Started by andyg, June 15, 2020, 10:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Another I'm stuck with,
Ahmadshahi?

½ Rupee.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

saro

Nobody seems to have an idea ?...
I think that there is the invocation"Ya Karim Hussain / یا کاریم حسن "in the square above "zarb",  but I don't see the expected mintname ?
I haven't any idea to whom or what the legend of  the other face refers to, even if good parts are legible  :-\
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

andyg

Thanks Saro,

The closest I found was a ½ Rupee, KM#186 - but it's certainly not that one.
Weight is 5.5g.

saro

I don't think that it could the coin KM186, and may be it isn't afghan...
in the square, Ya Karim is not the good reading... :-\ " کریم " ( Karim is not  written کاریم )
Looking for a possible mintname,  " کارباخش  " could fit / "Karabakhsh" (for Karabakh ?), a caucasian khanate  which has been a time under persian (afsharids) control.
It's a tentative ... persian coins struck in Karabakh show the mintname "Panakhabad"; may be this is a coin struck by a local ruler whose name or title is on obverse ? I was not able to find any similar coin...

andyg

Thanks Saro - "not Afghan" is a good start as that's where I'd been looking up to now :)

saro

finally found it... : Afghanistan /Barakzai 1/2 rupee of Sher 'Ali
2 are listed on Zeno
said to be from Ahmadshahi mint.

Figleaf

What a fun surprise after two years! Is it like in India, that half rupees are quite a bit harder to find than rupees?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on June 12, 2022, 10:04:22 AMWhat a fun surprise after two years! Is it like in India, that half rupees are quite a bit harder to find than rupees?
Not really, Sher 'Ali's half rupees are quite common; however, this type isn't and the full rupee of this type seems to be absent of catalogues.

andyg

This is the other example mentioned by Saro Zeno #166215

Both are dated AH1287 (1870/1)

Thanks very much to Saro for the detective work - I'd been through the Afghan half rupees on Zeno, but not spotted these two as they show more of the die.

saro

my mistake was to think that above zarb, as usual, there must necessarily be the mintname  ::) ...
In fact, from the 2nd Zeno exemplar with the full legend in the square area, there is the formula sometimes used by Barakzaï : "یا امیر کل امیر Ya amir Kal amir" (Ô amir of amirs).
I don't see the mint?

aws22

Thank you Sato, for the coin ID:
Dear andyg, your coin details:
Afghanistan, Barakzai Dynasty, Sher Ali Khan, Silver 1/2 Rupee, mint? (AH 1285-1296/1868-1879 AD)
Reverse (left photo):
يا أمير كل أمير , ضرب , (O prince of every prince), .... mint.
Ya Amir kul Amir, zarb .....
Obverse (Right image): Couplet in Farsi:
ز عين مرحمت كردگار لم يزلي  بيافت سكه رواج از امير على
Za Aini marhamat kurdgar lam-yazli biafet  sekka-ye rawaj Az Amir 'Ali.
The mint is probably Qandahar (not visible).
Sher Ali Khan (شیر علی خان) was Amir of Afghanistan from 1863 to 1866 and from 1868 until his death in 1879. He was the third son of Dost Mohammed Khan, founder of the Barakzai dynasty in Afghanistan.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Thank you Maythem for the full transcription. this one was not easy to reconstruct from the portions present on this coin

aws22

Thank you Saro; it was not easy. I found the couplet in "Ashmolean Museum" website:
https://hcr.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/collection/6?all=true&page=501

Maythem

saro

:applause:  for this reference.
So, the mintname is in right margin...

aws22

Thank you Saro, yes the mint is on the right margin " Qandahar قندهار " and the date is in the top margin " 128x  ۱۲۸- ".
Afghanistan, Barakzai Dynasty, Sher Ali Khan, AH 128x, Silver 1/2 Rupee, Qandahar mint (AH 1285-1296/1868-1879 AD)

Maythem