Author Topic: December 7, 1941 remembrance  (Read 124 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
December 7, 1941 remembrance
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »
These three coins were struck by a contemporary counterstamper using a vintage naval punch in September, 2019. The purpose was to remember those who died at the attack on the naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on December 7, 1941 that led to the United States' entry into the war.

Shortly after striking the pieces he personally traveled to Pearl Harbor with the coins and visited the memorials of the USS Arizona, USS Missouri, and USS Bowfin.

The first stamp is struck on a 2008 Hawaii State Quarter (50 examples were made). The nickel stamps were all applied to 1941 nickels (40 examples) and 20 examples on Buffalo nickels The reason why he chose the quarters and 1941 nickels as host coins is obvious. Not so for the Buffalo nickel. I'm in touch with him on a regular basis, so will have to ask.

I think these are wonderful remembrance pieces with special meaning, especially since they were taken to the base itself.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: December 7, 1941 remembrance
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
TFP, Mr. Semper Fidelis. If the "he" is OK with the thought, would you mind giving his name (and perhaps why he thought of the counterstamping)? It would complete the documentation of this thoughtful action.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »
TFP, Mr. Semper Fidelis. If the "he" is OK with the thought, would you mind giving his name (and perhaps why he thought of the counterstamping)? It would complete the documentation of this thoughtful action.

Peter
This man has been counterstamping mostly modern coins for a long time. I've known him for about 10 years and have examples of a number of different issues of his. He's a prolific stamper who's always been above board with what he issues. He goes to great lengths to be sure that everyone knows they're modern stamps.

He likes to keep a low-profile so I don't want to reveal his name. I will let him know that I've posted these on WoC and see if he'll respond. I've been trying to get him to join for some time, so this will be a good reason....another one... for him to do so.

Semper who?  ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »
I spoke with the maker of these stamps and he told me that the 1941 nickels were chosen for two reasons. First for the date obviously, but also because all the examples were minted in San Francisco (S mint mark) and it's the closest US mint to Hawaii. No particular reason for the Buffalo nickels, except they would have freely circulated at the time. The Buffaloes were made until 1937, so there were probably more of them still in circulation than the current Jeffersons.

Bruce
Always Faithful