Gwalior - Seorha Type coins - Jean Baptiste Filose

Started by Abhay, November 13, 2009, 11:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Recently, Mr. Shailendra Bhandare, in his article, "Making the most in 'Troubled Times': Jean Baptiste Filose and his Coinage" has thrown light on the coins of Seorha Type, which, until now, were unattributed.

Mr. Bhandare has divided these coins into 5 broad types:

1. Coins with Axe Only
2. Coins with Axe + Spear
3. Coins with Axe + Mace
4. Coins with Axe + Sword
5. Coins with Axe + Sword on Obverse + Cannon on Reverse

All these type are further divided into varieties, based on the different die positions and minor variations.

Here are some of the coins of Seorha Type. (The Image name describes the type of Coin).

In type 2 Coin, I have come across a coin, which is not categorised by Mr. Bhandare. This coin has Axe + Spear, but the spear seems to look like a flag.

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Here are the other coins of Seorha Type.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

asm

WOW Abhay, you sure have an excellent collection of Gwalior coins. Thanks for sharing them with us. Hope to see more of these and other coins from your collection.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

Thanks a lot, Amit.
I am glad you liked the coins. I will keep posting some more interesting coins of Gwalior.

abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rangnath

I certainly agree with Amit!  These are fantastic Abhay.
And thanks for including #5:  Axe + sword + cannon. 
richie

Salvete

Dear Abhay,
That is a really interesting new variety.  Dr. Bhandare is a very knowledgeable man and he will have looked hard to see if he might be missing out any varieties, but nobody knows everything (maybe SB comes close!)  I have no doubts that a number of other coins of the 'Filose' series will come to light o=ver the next few weeks and months.  What prevents you publishig this new variety?  Surely it behooves us all to help each other in this way?
Salvete.
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Thanks for that Salvete.
Specifically, what might Abhay do to publish this variety?
richie

Salvete

Dear Abhay and Richie,
Sorry to be so late making this reply.  I have no excuse.
This is an easy one to publish because the indomitable SB has already done the hard work!  If I were publishing this variety, I would make a good monochrome photo or scan at about 500dpi, and add a few lines referring back to SB's article and describe the differences between this coin and those already published.  Add any other relevant comments that may help readers (such as weight, size, reading of legends, similarities and differences to other similar coins.  The resulting paper can be sent to the ONS editor, Stan Goron.  If the writer's first language is not English, he may feel unwilling to send his text to be read by others, and perhaps feel coy about publishing in English.  There are two alternatives:  publish in Hindi in an Indian Journal, or get a friend who is competent in English to review and edit the text and improve, if necessary, the presentation.  If Abhay would like to write his text and send it to me at barrytabor@aol.com along with the picture, I will be only too happy to assist to the limits of my ability, as would a lot of other folks, I am certain.
I believe that we owe it to each other to get new information published wherever we think it will be read.  Go on, Abhay, you will enjoy it!
Best regards to all.
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Abhay

Dear Mr. Richie and Salvete,
Frankly speaking, I don't think that this one coin is enough for publishing. However, I do have some unlisted and unpublished varieties of Gwalior Coins, and I have shared them on this forum.
What I suggested earlier to Mr. Oesho, was to come out with a new and revised addtion of his book "The coins of Scindhias", because I still feel he is the best person for Gwalior coins. Of course, we all are ready to help him in this task, in whatever manner we can.
I do hope Mr. Oesho, you will take this advise very seriously, because we all want to be benefitted from your vast knowledge on Gwalior coins.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rangnath

Abhay

Here is the Type IV type of coin, with Axe + Sword.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

Most excellent thread. I hope there will be a part II.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Abhay

Quote from: Figleaf on August 16, 2010, 03:29:12 PM
Most excellent thread. I hope there will be a part II.

Peter

In fact, today only, I merged the two topics. When I was new to this forum, I did not know how to insert more than 8 images per post. It was at that time, I posted the images in two different threads, Part I and II. I am sorry, that I didnot change the Subject to exclude the Part. Now I have modified the Subject.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Recently got this coin. Surely seems like a Jean Baptiste Filose coin, but a new variety, which is not mentioned in the article by Dr. Bhandare. This coin shows a HORIZONTAL Sword, whereas in all the coins, the sword is vertical.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Salvete

It seems that it will be well worthwhile to look out for more variants, Engipress.  Some of them are beautiful, like this one, and others are uglier - but they all may help connect ourselves as 'coin nuts' to the truth and reality that are proven history.  I, for one, would be interested to see any others you find.

Good Hunting