Shah Jahan Khambayat Silver Rupee AH1068 - Zeno#84955

Started by jaspersaini, June 08, 2020, 09:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaspersaini

Sharing my second Khambayat Rupee, from Shah Jahan reign, AH 1068. I can't see the RY year.
There are 7 test marks on the sides,

11.52 Gms. x 22.2 MM

Zeno#84955

Your comments are most welcome!!

asm

Nice coin. The last of the coins of this mint while Shah Jahan was still the ruler. Look out for 1069 which is an issue post dethronement of Shah Jahan, issued when Azam Shah came to Gujarat after being defeated by Aurangzeb. He was on the run and moved to the west and then reached Gujarat where the governor acknowledged his presence and Azam held Durbar where he left the seat of the emperor vacant and took the seat just below the emperors seat - thereby acknowledging that Shah Jahan was still the emperor. Hence the coins issued from the mints of Gujarat, dated 1068 / 32 and 1069 would be coins issued after the deposition of Shah Jahan as well as Murad Baksh.

A complicated issue but interesting one.

Amit

PS: I think I have mentioned this in some earlier post also.   
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

Perhaps the date is written out or partially or wholly off-flan, but I can't find it either. So how was this coin dated 1068?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Peter,
It is completely on the flan and easy to spot, if one knows where to look for it. It took me a long time to spot the dates on Shah Jahan's coins and even today, I have to seek help sometimes.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jaspersaini

RY is out of flan on this coin, it has to be at 3O'clcok on the first photo.

I am usually comparing my coins with Zeno as well as the Liddle catalog.  And have my own printed numbers and years of Mughals.