Author Topic: French medieval  (Read 220 times)

Offline carpatic

French medieval
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:36:33 PM »
This one comes from a lot of coins, mostly bronzes, from France, XVI and XVII cent. It was not identified and by the look of it, it could be older. 20mm diameter, 1.30g
I would value your help in identifying it. Thank you

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: French medieval
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:24:39 PM »
France, Philippe VI, double parisis, 4th type (1350), Dy 270. Official weight 1.456 grams.

Obv: legend around •PHILIPPVS•REX, in centre FRAN / CORV (• stands for three dots arranged in a triangle)
Rev: legend around +MONETA•DVPLEX, latin cross with the three upper arms ending in a fleur-de-lis

Peter
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:12:15 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline carpatic

France, Philippe VI, double parisi 1350
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
I sometimes ask members who identified a difficult to read coin how they identified it. I don't do that out of idle curiosity (though I am good at curiositing idly) but to give other interested members a handle on how to go about identifying a coin. Nobody asked me, but I guess it's my turn anyway.

The description carpatic gives was quite helpful. Coming from a lot from France, 20 mm, 1.3 grams. It framed the way I looked at the coin, so I saw the French heraldic lilies on the cross. I also noticed that the lower arm of the cross did not break through the circle and did not have a fleur de lis. Looking at the legend, I found PP at 5 to 6 o'clock on the upper picture, which matches with Philippvs. Going through my Duplessy catalogue, I could quickly rule out all but Philip VI, whose "black money" included a number of cross with lily designs. I could eliminate the designs with a quadrilobe instead of a circle and those with four lillies, leaving me with two possibilities: Dy 270 with FRAN and Dy 270A with FRA, even though the picture of both types is quite unclear in Duplessy. Carpatic's picture allowed me to see that the text on his coin is FRAN. Just to make sure, I compared the weight stated by carpatic with that listed and the diameter stated with the size of the illustration in Duplessy.  From there on, all I did was to translate the catalogue listing.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:12:27 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline carpatic

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 05:45:24 AM »
Great investigation approach! Thanks again, for the explanation also