Author Topic: Quiz questions 4  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Quiz questions 4
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »
Your memory is quite good and so is your answer. No replies on the coin? It's just as tricky...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Galapagos

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »
I also note that the vote seems to be swinging my way....If you don't think that I should take any part in it, I will not be offended if you say so now but please give reasons; I say this because the vote was put in and no reason for it was given and there was no discussion, a matter which I took as a personal insult which is why I am asking for any comments on the scheme to be posted here.   If you were one of the members who voted against my method, you are welcome to ignore the new questions and in return, if it does not work out, I will drop the subject.

But, all discussion here please, as this is where the vote was posted.

Bill.

Bill, I was the one who posted the poll. It certainly wasn't intended as an insult. My tendency is always to centralise everything so that it is easily found: one topic rather than several. So I posted a poll. However, the poll should have expired long ago. Since it is tied, but you originated the quizzes, then let's keep the quizzes as separate topics, as is your wish. Maybe Figleaf could delete the poll now,as it is tied, past its sell-by date, and no longer serves any purpose.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
Bill, I was the one who posted the poll. It certainly wasn't intended as an insult. My tendency is always to centralise everything so that it is easily found: one topic rather than several. So I posted a poll. However, the poll should have expired long ago. Since it is tied, but you originated the quizzes, then let's keep the quizzes as separate topics, as is your wish. Maybe Figleaf could delete the poll now,as it is tied, past its sell-by date, and no longer serves any purpose.

Thanks for telling me.   The vote and result didn't worry me, but I was disappointed that there was no discussion and I wasn't able to explain why I wanted separate headings before people voted.   I think that the vote should stay here to explain these posts.

Question No.5 which I have set, I honestly know only one answer and there could be many.   If the discussion there proves interesting it will be possible to change the main heading and move it to a different board as a permanent record for the manner in which the coin is designed - something that had always been one of my aims when I started the series.   The discussion there forms part of the topic.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
While I was posting, the vote's vanished.

Enough said.

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
For the record, the poll asked the question (probably not the exact words):

Should these questions be put under one heading?

The last result that I saw was:

Agree     4
Against   4

These numbers form a part of my decision to try to get the Quiz Questions started again.

At least I can draw comfort from the Great One:

This group has as much discipline as flock of geese and it's probably better that way.

Bill.

translateltd

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
Your memory is quite good and so is your answer. No replies on the coin? It's just as tricky...

Peter

No idea on the coin, but you could fill us in on the enlarged part of the note you posted - I know there is another diagnostic there but can't remember what it is!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
In 1942 German major Bernhard Krüger led a project to flood Britain with forged 5, 10, 20 and 50 pound notes. A team of 142 inmates of Sachsenhausen concentration camp were forced to produce the plates. The results were excellent. They were able to copy the watermark and the cracked the code used to generate serial numbers. In 1945, a total of 9 million notes with a face value of £134.610.810 had been produced. The German spy Cicero (Eleysa Banza), working in the British embassy in Turkey, was paid with forged banknotes.

The operation nevertheless failed. The Bank of England, warned of the operation, replaced all notes over £5. Sachsenhausen was taken by the US army. The banknotes were dumped in lake Toplitz in Austria, but recovered a few years later.

Major Krüger was taken prisoner in France. The French secret service forced him to make forgeries for them. When he was at last let go, he ended up working for the company that had supplied him with paper in Sachsenhausen.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:10:07 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:39 PM »
It was mean to post such a small picture. Here is a larger one. The two heads of this latter day Janus are of the Belgian king Leopold I and King Frederick William IV of Prussia. Moresnet was a hilarious little error in the final act of the Vienna congres. The border between Prussia and the Netherlands was described in an unclear way, creating a triangle of land claimed by Prussia and the Netherlands (the middle part on the map). The sliver was declared neutral, with two rulers. In practice, the area was independent.

In 1885, the only driver of the local economy, a zinc mine, was exhausted. Tourism seemed the only way out. Local leaders created a flag, stamps and a coin dated 1848. The texts on the coin are SUB DUPLICI PRAESIDIO LIBERTAS - freedom under double rulers and COMMUNE LIBRE DE MORESNET - free town of Moresnet. The arms are those of Belgium (at independence, Belgium had inherited the Dutch claim) and Germany (the legal successor of Prussia).

In the first world war, Moresnet was occupied and declared German (Altenberg). After that war, it came to Belgium (Kelmis/La Calamine)

As I mentioned, the questions were recycled. With thanks to Willy68 and his Numismatic Trivia.

Peter

translateltd

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »

The operation nevertheless failed. The Bank of England, warned of the operation, replaced all notes over £5. Sachsenhausen was taken by the US army. The banknotes were dumped in lake Toplitz in Austria, but recovered a few years later.

Still not spotting what I'm supposed to be spotting in the piccies :-(

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
Hmpf. I deleted that para by accident:

Upper lip, cross on the crown, details on the heraldic lilies in the crown, shadow around the top of the beehive. I can't see it, but the eyes are supposed to have a different expression also. Keep in mind that these are minor details on what is a detail of the banknote. The forgeries were pretty close to perfect and can be spotted only by studying the note carefully.

Peter