Author Topic: Quiz questions 4  (Read 1421 times)

translateltd

Re: Quiz questions 4
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 06:34:20 PM »
Well done both of you:

1. Pip, Squeak and Wilfred is the nickname given to a WW1 medal trio.  Not coins, but still numismatic.
2. Yes, 1719.  Add up the Roman numeral values of all the letters that are larger than the rest and that's the total.  It's called a chronogram and was used relatively frequently in Europe in the 17th-18th centuries.

Galapagos

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
Martin, could you give us a link to this medallic trio, or a bit more explanation?

I think Bart got the fuller answer and should be next to continue.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
On the question of what to do with the quiz questions, I'd propose a child board, so that Ice Torch could at last be burdened with responsibility :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Galapagos

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 08:47:28 PM »
It's too informal for a child board. The Living Room is fine. Members only, arf, arf!

Galapagos

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
Ooh, consumer choice, as well!

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
Re: Quiz questions. Do you want them?
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
These questions seem to have died a natural death as people are posting comments about previous questions after another seems to have been asked.   That is exactly why I suggested that each question should be a separate topic.   I'm not even sure whether a question is currently running.

Comments?

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Galapagos

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
I think Bart got the fuller answer and should be next to continue.

So I think Bart is next. But he seems not to have noticed, so I think he won't mind you leaping in with some of your own, Bill. He probably has a lot of teeth to extract at this time of year.

Galapagos

Re: Quiz questions. Do you want them?
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »
These questions seem to have died a natural death as people are posting comments about previous questions after another seems to have been asked. 

Bill.

Well, people are also clever enough to weave their way around the comments. The comments serve a purpose, as we want to learn from the answers, and not necessarily just get a bald answer that can be pretty meaningless on its own.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 11:38:01 PM »
I'm all for the comments as we can learn a lot from some of them, indeed that's why I tried to keep each question as a single topic which could be expanded upon.

I note that nothing happened here for seven days.

I have a suitable question ready but am not prepared to give it where it will be hidden by left-overs from previous questions and as the results of a vote wants everything mixed up together I feel that I should abstain from participating in any quizzes.  :'(

Bill. 

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »
Cheer up, Bill. This group has as much discipline as flock of geese and it's probably better that way. Here are two questions for Bart. They're recycled, but interesting.

Belgium question: identify the coin attached.
World question: identify the banknote attached (the enlargement is significant)

With thanks to Willy68

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 01:23:23 AM »

World question: identify the banknote attached (the enlargement is significant)

I had to enlarge a different part of the banknote to look for the diagnostic I was expecting, but think I have the right answer anyway - think vague references to a dog, a small whisky barrel and a Swiss mountainside ...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 01:38:12 AM »
There are connections with Austria, Germany and Turkey, but AFAIK not Switzerland.

Peter

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
Re: Quiz questions 4 - your comments if you wish
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 04:00:23 AM »
Forgotten again.   I'm not surprised as many members look for new topics when they log in.   I also note that the vote seems to be swinging my way.   As the person who started it with Question No.1, I suggest the following:

I think that these questions can be both entertaining and useful in giving an insight to coins that might otherwise be overlooked.

I will post 'Quiz Question No. 5' using the method that I originally adopted, and also give a very brief reference to the 'rules' there, but with a request that if there are any queries on them they be raised here.

The rules are simple:
You can either answer the question or discuss it as much as you want, within the same topic as the question.
The person getting the correct answer sets a new question as a new topic, using the next number in sequence.
The question should be a single question relating to coins from any time or place but may have multiple answers like 'where and when?'
Whoever sets the question should keep a watch on answers and start giving clues after a few days.
I will keep a general eye on the questions and give gentle reminders if necessary so that a question does not get forgotten.

Obvious really, but if you don't like these rules please discuss the matter here.   We can also watch whether the system works.   If you don't think that I should take any part in it, I will not be offended if you say so now but please give reasons; I say this because the vote was put in and no reason for it was given and there was no discussion, a matter which I took as a personal insult which is why I am asking for any comments on the scheme to be posted here.   If you were one of the members who voted against my method, you are welcome to ignore the new questions and in return, if it does not work out, I will drop the subject.

But, all discussion here please, as this is where the vote was posted.

Bill.

translateltd

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
There are connections with Austria, Germany and Turkey, but AFAIK not Switzerland.

Peter

I didn't see this reply till now (another message not brought up by the Show Unread Posts option ...)

Sorry for being obscure - I was thinking of Operation Bernhard (dogs with small whisky barrels => St. *Bernards*)

The note has the diagnostic line emerging from the centre of the LH vertical of the N in ENGLAND that identifies it as a German forgery - again, if my dodgy memory is working properly.