Author Topic: Quiz questions 4  (Read 1559 times)

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
Quiz questions 4
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
1. Where did they issue a square coin with QEII on the obverse (Arnold Machin design) and her predecessor William I on the reverse?

2. Which modern republic puts on its circulation coins a "royal" coat-of-arms? I can describe it as crowned arms on a crowned "royal" coat-of-arms.

Galapagos

Re: Quiz questions 4
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
Number two is a toughie. I did a topic on number one, so I'll see if anyone else knows first.

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »
I think I know the answer to no. 2 but I'll reply by PM first ...

Galapagos

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
Number 2. After much head-scratching, I thought of San Marino. Looking at their p*ss-poor euro designs seems to confirm this. And if you've seen my topic, you'll know that I know the answer to number one.

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »
Martin has PM'd me the right answer on number1.  He thought of Hungary for number 2, with the St. Stephens crown, and that's quite close, but not the solution I have in mind. The republic I have in mind even has 2 crowns on its circulation coins. The coins have denominations of 1,2,5 and 10.

Ice Torch is right: I know he knows the answer on number one (not too difficult). About the second question: the crown on the San Marino coat-of-arms seems very royal indeed, but the moment you'll see the answer, you'll have to admit there's better than that.

Galapagos

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »
As to question two, on the reverse of the coins of Serbia from, I believe, 2005, you will find TWO crowns. So, I got TWO right answers to your question. Call me a genius - I am...  8)

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »
Right!!  ;D  You are a genius indeed! (As I won't argue with a world dictator...  8))

Next question for you again...

Galapagos

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
The British question: what was the last year in which a British coin claimed implicitly that the British monarch also reigned over France?

The international question: on which coins of the 20th century - but AFTER World War One - does a king wear a military helmet? It occurs to me that there may be more than one answer to this.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »
Don't know about the first question, but as for the second one - io lo so, io lo so! ;)

Christian

Galapagos

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Is there any language you DON'T speak, Christian, you rootless cosmopolitan, you?  ::)

Galapagos

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
Incidentally, I think Bart's question about a republic depicting a crown on its coins was an excellent one. We turned up three: Serbia, San Marino, and Hungary. Are there any more, I wonder? It's notable that Russia depicts its double-headed eagle WITHOUT a crown. But why two heads anyway?

translateltd

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:39:49 PM »
Incidentally, I think Bart's question about a republic depicting a crown on its coins was an excellent one. We turned up three: Serbia, San Marino, and Hungary. Are there any more, I wonder? It's notable that Russia depicts its double-headed eagle WITHOUT a crown. But why two heads anyway?

Because they're better than one, of course.

translateltd

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »
The British question: what was the last year in which a British coin claimed implicitly that the British monarch also reigned over France?

I would say *explicitly*, really, as long as you can decipher the Latin bits ...

Galapagos

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »
No explicitness on the forum, please! We don't want the Mary Whitehouse brigade round here, now do we?  >:(

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »
Is there any language you DON'T speak, Christian, you rootless cosmopolitan, you?  ::)

A few thousand, I suppose. ;)

As for crowns on coins of republics, I already mentioned Austria (mural crown) elsewhere. And after the end of the communist regime, the Polish eagle got its (his?) crown back.

Why two heads? To make that a conversation topic in the World of Coins. ;D

Christian