Author Topic: The Netherlands: Public consultation for themes 2021  (Read 393 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
The Netherlands: Public consultation for themes 2021
« on: June 02, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »
The Dutch treasury informed me that they are planning to launch a public consultation to identify coin themes for a collectors coin that is to be issued in 2021. The consultation will likely be launched next week. As soon as the webpage has gone live I will post a link in this topic. I do not know if foreigners will be allowed to take part.

Last year the Treasury held a similar consultation to identify coin themes for 2020. Hardly anyone knew about this and it appeared the only respondents were frequent visitors of the public consultation website, rather then collectors. The theme '75 years since the liberation' was chosen.

Last year as part of the consultation, the person (or one of the people) who submitted the chosen theme was going to be invited to attend the first strike ceremony of the coin. As only very few people responded, the Treasury decided to invite all people who suggested the chosen theme. Because of the corona measures they could not attend the first strike ceremony of the 75 years of liberation coin. I do not know if the Treasury will this year again offer a similar reward.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:29:25 PM by eurocoin »

Offline squarecoinman

• Indexer
Re: The Netherlands: Public consultation for themes 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »
Thanks for posting this keep us up to date
World square coin book 1900-2000

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »
The public consultation has in the meantime gone live. Until August 4, all Dutchmen are allowed to submit a proposal for a theme. 3 proposals are being picked and will be discussed with the State Secretary for Finance and the Cabinet of the King. The person who submitted the winning proposal is being invited to attend the first strike ceremony for the coin. Have a look here.

If it is a commemoration, your proposal has to be logically related to a jubilee year (25,50,75,100, etc.).
If your proposal is about a person, he or she has to be dead.

Carefully read the rules.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
The consultation closed at midnight. A lot of the replies to the consultation are public. Amongst these public reactions 37 different themes were suggested. Winner was the theme corona virus, which was mentioned 27 times. The 400th anniversary of the escape of Hugo de Groot from Loevestein Castle came in second place. It was mentioned 4 times.

The themes UN International Year of Fruit and Vegetables, 100 years since the birth of Karel Appel, 100 years since the death of architect Cuypers and 600 years since the St. Elizabeth's flood were each mentioned twice.

All other themes were only suggested once.

The Ministry of Finance has yet to announce which theme they have chosen for the new coin, although that only still seems to be a formality.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:26:14 AM »
The Ministy of Finance has just announced the themes they have chosen for the Dutch 5 euro collectors coins of 2021. They have chosen the themes: 40th anniversary of the NOS Jeugdjournaal (a news broadcast for children) and judoka Anton Geesink. The latter theme will be issued as part of the Dutch Sports Icons Series.

I find these disappointing choices. The big majority of the people who submitted a theme indicated that they wanted a COVID-19-related collectors coin. There were also several people who submitted the theme '400th anniversary of the escape of De Groot from Loevestein Castle', which I think is also a strong theme.

The Jeugdjournaal coin will be one that may appeal to children. Maybe that way they try to get children into coin collecting.

As 2 themes have now been announced, it appears that the earlier announced 5 euro collectors coin for Willemstad, CuraƧao as part of the UNESCO World Heritage Series will not be issued. This as there has been agreed in the past that the Netherlands issues only 2 collectors coins per year.