Quiz Questions 3

Started by translateltd, November 09, 2009, 08:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

translateltd

1. Where did two hares, a wolfhound and a bull equal a salmon?

2. Which country other than France issues a circulating Euro coin, with the word FRANCE on it?

bart

I'll give it a try:

1. Ireland

2. Slovenia has put the poet France Preseren on a 2 euro coin. By the way: the word FRANCE doesn't appear on the circulating euro coins of France. They show RF for République Française.

chrisild

That was way too fast for me. :) But yes, (predecimal) Ireland sounds right, and Slovenia too ...

Christian

Galapagos

I knew number 1, since Ireland is hardly too far away from me, but number two - that was a bit tricky-dicky, young Martin!

translateltd

Well done - I pass the torch (not the icy one) to Bart for the next round.  But in the meantime, here's a quick extra question for this round.  It's an old chestnut but some younger viewers may not have heard it before:

3. Name the two Winstons to have appeared on British coinage, and their year of appearance.

translateltd

So no takers on the Winstons question, or is it just so ho-hum that it's not worth answering? :-)

(First time I heard it, more than 25 years ago, everyone else in the room yawned, but it was a new one on me at the time ...)

Galapagos

The Winstons question was new to me too. I didn't answer at first because you had mentioned it in a topic of mine, and I thought that would be unfair.

Winston is the name of the horse that QEII is riding on that 1953 UK crown. And of course Winston Churchill himself was portrayed on the 1965 UK crown. Churchill is actually still a controversial figure for some. Personally, I was shocked when I discovered he had ginger hair. There'd be a law against such people, if I had my way.

chrisild

Quote from: Ice Torch on November 12, 2009, 03:57:25 PM
Winston is the name of the horse that QEII is riding on that 1953 UK crown. And of course Winston Churchill himself was portrayed on the 1965 UK crown.

Ah, now that you mention it ... Guess I can stop looking the second, third, etc. names of British monarchs up. ;D

Christian

UK Decimal +

Quote from: Hardy Strong on November 12, 2009, 03:57:25 PM
... ... Winston is the name of the horse that QEII is riding on that 1953 UK crown. ... ...

Thanks for the reminder, I've added "Winston" to my description of the 1953 crown coin.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.