Author Topic: Faked half rupee, Shahjahan, Ahmadabad, AH.1037  (Read 137 times)

Online drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Faked half rupee, Shahjahan, Ahmadabad, AH.1037
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »
Posting an artistically fabricated half rupee of Shahjahan. It looks very much genuine to naked eye until you weigh it or look under magnification. It has date AH.1037 and mint Ahmadabad written on the obverse. On the reverse, tinkering can be seen below Muhammad. And the weight is 3.46gms!.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Faked half rupee, Shahjahan, Ahmadabad, AH.1037
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:34:56 AM »
In view of the pitting, it may be cast. Did you do a "ping test"?

Since I would expect the halves to be more expensive today, I would venture that this is not a contemporary fake. I think a contemporary faker would have made a rupee.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:06 AM »
Your are right Peter, it is a recent forgery. Its artistic perfection is stunning!
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »
If it is indeed cast, I would expect it to be a perfect copy of the original, except that its diameter would be slightly smaller, its weight would be wrong (shown to be the case) and the detail would be less sharp. On unc specimen, a vertical cut of the lettering would be an isosceles trapezium, while on a cast fake, I would expect that this cut would have the shape of a circle segment. In other words, lettering would have rounded upper corners.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
Thank you Peter for the tips. I will work on that soon.
Dr.Sreedhar