unidentified islamic small copper coin

Started by saro, May 15, 2020, 04:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

any suggestion for this small copper coin will be welcome...
(2 pictures with different lighting )
1,02g / 13 x 14mm
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Dear Saro, I can recognize two words only " Muhammad محمد " &  letter " K ك " of " Kabul كابل ".

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Thank you very much Maythem, I thought first to "Ahmad" but there is no trace of the initial alif,  "Muhammad" well fit with the tashdid visible at top (double "mim" of "Muhammad"). I wonder if the 3 dots are ornamental or not ?
Kabul on reverse is good option; at bottom it seems that there is "zarb"  and something else which doesn't look like an epithet.
Unfortunately, the coin is corroded...

saro

I am not certain but I think that is likely a small medal and not a coin, with "Muhammad" on a face and "Allah" on the other one (see upper right picture)

saro

Quote from: saro on May 16, 2020, 10:30:19 AM
I am not certain but I think that is likely a small medal and not a coin, with "Muhammad" on a face and "Allah" on the other one (see upper right picture)
a coarse old version of this one...

Figleaf

The left picture is very close indeed, though your piece seems to have additional writing at 6 o'clock. The right picture is less convincing to me, even where the letters are clear.

If your presumption is correct, any museum in West Asia should have a collection of these. They look like items that travellers would carry for inspiration.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on May 17, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
The left picture is very close indeed, though your piece seems to have additional writing at 6 o'clock. The right picture is less convincing to me, even where the letters are clear.

Yes Peter, I'm less and less convinced too by my guess.... if it was a religious medal, even humble, it shouldn't have been struck on a so irregular flan which looks very like a coin indeed.
From Maythem proposition (thanks again  :) ) I keep "Muhammad" for the obverse and half of "Kabul" : " "Ka.."  (  :D ) for the reverse and with a good light I think that we can in fact read "zarb Karin  ضرب کارین" (today Erzurum in Armenia ) and the only ruler "Muhammad" that I have found is the Ilkhan "Muhammad Khan" (736-739 AH / who have highly lowered the standard weight of his coins). nevertheless, the style is not ilkhan and th script  looks more recent...
It's a new guess  ::)

However, I don't see what could be the additional signs or letter under "Muhammad" (ornaments ?)

aws22

Thank you Saro, the mint place is now identified, that leaves th the inscription under the word Muhammad which could be part of the word " Khan خان ". The letter " Kh خ " starts at 4 O'clock of bottom first photo, followed by a semi-circle " Kha خا ", then the letter " N ن ", is inside the semi-circle under the word " Muhammad محمد ". So it is " Muhammad Khan محمد خان " written in a nice calligraphic style. The two dots (not 3 dots), one for the letter " Kh خ " and the other for letter " N ن ".

Maythem

saro

Thank you Maythem, it's an interesting suggestion, I thought that was the circular border.
Looking attentively at the coin, with a grazing light there are well 3 separated dots which give something like the persian letter " ژ  ", with no signification here. "Muhammad" could also  well not refer to a ruler but to the Prophet ?

aws22

Thank you Saro, it could be an eye deception, but " Khan خان " is one of the suggestions. It is common that dots are ornamental on many similar coins.

maythem

saro

Finally I think that this  small copper coin (akce ?) can be attributed with some confidence to the Giray dynasty of Crimea  and that کارین " has to be read as " گرای  " (Giray).
likely a coin of Muhammad Giray IV whose small silver akces show a similar "Muhammad" in a circle.

I groped a lot ::)

Figleaf

Few things are as inspirational as just sitting around with like-minded people and speculating. That's what you did in this thread and you got inspired as a reward. I hope others will follow your example. If the opportunity exists, why not use it?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.