Author Topic: Re: Nederlands Indie?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Nederlands Indie?
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
Hello Figleaf!

I still wait for an answer from them ...

In between another coin? from Nederlands Indie.

Afrasi

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:13:20 PM »
Afrasi,
can you give me more information on this coin?  Size, weight, denomination, date...
richie

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Hello Richard!

I know really nothing about this. It seems to be of tin with spurs of lead. It is about 23.5 mm and has 11.9 g. The thickness varies from 2.0 mm to 4.1 mm.

Afrasi

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
I read W on the left of the arms and 345 on the right. I haven't found anything even coming close to this piece. Everything that follows is therefore pure speculation.

The piece may be official. If it is, it's not a coin. Some possibilities are harbour token, tax token, market token, all to prove payment, not in he sense of trade token (used instead of regular money). Fireman's token (used for identification) is another possibility.

I can't make anything o the other side. It may be fantasy or unconnected Arabic script. If the piece is not official, it would be a forgery, but I think that's unlikely, since people would have known quite well that what's on both sides of the shield is wrong.

Sorry I can't make more out of this.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »
Hello Peter!

I thought of a pass token, too, perhaps to the harbour. The "345" gave me this idea. There is no W, but an N on the left of the shield. The letters on the reverse do not look arabic, but seem to be spoilt latin letters. As a last chance I hope on Oeshos comment ...   ;-)

Afrasi

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:23 PM »
I would certainly like to hear from him about this one. 
I tried turning the reverse.  I see numbers and letters (one in Hebrew!) but how much of that is my imagination, I don't know.
richie

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »
Yes, it is upright now I think! Above there is a large H and two italicized letters. The smaller letters in the middle coins are still spoilt latin letters to me, even if they look a little bit like the hebrew letter "waw". I am quite sure, because I have learnt Hebrew as I was a little bit younger.

Afrasi

translateltd

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50:48 AM »
I wonder if the "3" is actually a broken 6, with the "tick" to the left of it a broken 1, which would give us 1645 ...

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
Sounds nice to me! So it would be one of my older pieces of Nederlands Indie. But on East India coins the weapon of the province of Holland was used only since 1726. Older pieces are homeland coinage. So I have some doubt about this dating. But I hope your suggestion will be right!

Afrasi

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
It's definitely not a broken 6. If you look at about 2 o'clock, you will see the remnant of the upper part of the 3 sticking out.

For the same reason, I have doubts about the N, Afrasi reads to the left of the arms. If the 3 and the 5 are partially covered by the edge, it is not impossible that this is not a cursive N, but a W, which might stand for William. Neither letter means anything in terms of towns with a mint. The closest would be Negapatnam, but the style of this piece does not fit Negapatnam at all.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »
I think your  "remnant" is what I see as a broken 1, so I still keep "1645" open as an option.  Assuming the "legend" was arranged clockwise around the shield or arms (can I gently suggest either of these terns instead of "weapon" for "wapen"?), the character at the left looks more like a Z to me.