Royal Queensland Yacht Club tokens

Started by brandm24, May 13, 2020, 03:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

This is a nice series of mostly aluminum tokens I came across for the Royal Queensland Yacht Club.

I was curious about when they were issued and found a progression of name changes for the club. It was founded in 1885 as the Brisbane Sailing Club, and renamed the Queensland Yacht Club in 1894. In 1902 King Edward VII authorized the addition of "Royal" to the club's name and it became the Royal Queensland Yacht club. It changed again in 1961 when Queen Elizabeth II approved the change to the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron.

If this progression is correct, this series of tokens should date to the period 1902 to 1961. There are quite a few denominations and shapes. So far, I've seen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, and 20/- denomination pieces. All are either round scalloped or octagonal shaped and made of aluminium . However, I did see one counterstamped on a small copper(?) planchet and valued at 3p. (image attached) Also attached is an image of a shilling token with two small holes drilled in it. I have no idea why it was done.

I'm not exactly sure what they were used for, but suppose they were redeemable in the club or restaurant.

Bruce
Always Faithful

malj1

From the catalogue: A Pot Pouri of Queensland Numismatics by George Dean.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

BTW we don't use the value 3p here perhaps its a threepence? = 3d - see 140 and 141

The first type were used in slot machines.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

The holes could be cancellation marks.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

A lot more varieties than I thought. That makes it an interesting series to collect. Thanks for the great information.

Bruce
Always Faithful