Author Topic: International Token Web Conference  (Read 624 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: International Token Web Conference
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:39 PM »
Gérard's problem was nicely described by a Japanese former colleague of mine: "they told me the languages of the OECD are English and French, but in reality, the languages are American English, English English, Irish English, Scottish English, Australian English, French French, Canadian French and Swiss French." :) Add homophones and clipped sound and you understand why the sub-titles were so useful.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
Peter bonsoir
merci bien ,c'était juste une plaisanterie
amicalement Gerard

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »
T'as raison, Gérard. Il faut penser à une solution. Il-y-a déjà des outils impressionant de traduction, mais je ne sais pas s'ils sont intégrés dans le soft pour les conférences online. Les textes de cette conférence seront disponibles. Tu pourrais les traiter avec Google translate. Ce n'est pas parfait, mais c'est bcp mieux que bouder.

Traduction Google translate SANS correction, notez la traduction de bcp! Pas mal, hein?

You're right, Gérard. We must think of a solution. There are already impressive translation tools, but I don't know if they are integrated into the software for online conferences. The texts of this conference will be available. You could treat them with Google translate. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than sulking.

Peter

In my experience, simultaneous machine interpretation of speech still has a long way to go compared to machine translation of text (e.g. Google Translate). Even speech recognition systems designed for one language (i.e. no translation/interpretation involved) have serious limitations - ask anyone with a strong regional accent or who is not a native speaker who has interacted with voice recognition systems on the telephone.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 12:29:12 PM »
Hello
You are right ,i was born in south of France and i have one big accent ,when i try to speak English the people who is in front of me for understand be are very good . When i write i make many gramatical error because i have never make English at school but i think that is possible to read . Like we say i speak and write English like a Spanish cow ,poor cow  ;D ;D ;D
best regards Gerard

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
I communicate with the Uzbek part of my family by speaking in Dutch to Google Translate on my phone and having it translated into Russian. Apart from lack of bandwidth, this works, in the sense that we communicate. The translations of what they are saying are not "the queen's English", but the gist of the message is there. My Dutch accent is South of Amsterdam, North of Rotterdam. My family's Russian accent is Tashkent.

On a further removed basis, my French accent is Walloon. My Ch'ti friends have no problem. Parisians squint or roll their eyes. Marseillais interrupt with "Quoi, quoi?" Yet, I understand them all. Perhaps the differences between accents are larger in the head than for the software?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »
My main problem with speech recognition is with Swedish. I speak it fluently, but unsurprisingly given I learnt it in my 40s, with a clear British accent. Human beings don't have a problem understanding me, but machines quite often do.

But even with English I've sometimes had problems. I speak pretty close to standard British English. I have the short vowels of my birthplace; cows eat grass, not grahss, but otherwise I basically speak like most educated southerners. Yet sometimes machines still don't understand me.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: First WoC online meeting
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
When next time presentations are being held about coins or tokens in one of these online meetings, please beforehand provide an estimate of roughly how long the meeting with all of the presentations will be.