News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Syriac or Arabic?

Started by pogh poor, May 12, 2020, 02:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pogh poor

I am trying to identify a seal - is it Syriac or Arabic - and what does it translate as? Pogh_poor

THCoins

I do knot know of Syriac, but i can't recognize the script as Arab.
What's the size and material of the object ? And is it solid, or does it have a hole so it could be tied to a rope. That might limit attribution possibilities a bit.

Anthony

pogh poor

It is a lead seal with a channel. It measures 16 mm in width and weighs 5.75 g

Syriac (/ˈsɪriæk/; ܠܫܢܐ ܣܘܪܝܝܐ[a] Leššānā Suryāyā), also known as Syrian/Syriac Aramaic, Syro-Aramaic or Classical Syriac,[9][10][11] is a dialect of Middle Aramaic of the Northwest Semitic languages of the Afroasiatic family that is written in the Syriac alphabet, a derivation of the Aramaic alphabet. Having first appeared in the early first century AD in Edessa,[12] classical Syriac became a major literary language throughout the Middle East from the 4th to the 8th centuries,[13] preserved in a large body of Syriac literature. Indeed, Syriac literature comprises roughly 90% of the extant Aramaic literature.[14] Syriac was once spoken across much of the Near East as well as Anatolia and Eastern Arabia.

From the 7th century onwards, Syriac gradually gave way to Arabic as the spoken language of much of the region, excepting northern Iraq. Although once a major language in the Fertile Crescent and Eastern Arabia, Syriac is now limited to the towns and villages in the Nineveh plains, Tur Abdin, the Khabur plains, in and around the cities of Mosul, Erbil and Kirkuk.

Pogh_poor

pogh poor

I have shown this seal to a professor of Syriac studies who said it was not Syriac or other semitic text.  It is not Arabic/Kufic script.  Could it be old Turkic or Bulgarian?  Pogh_poor