Author Topic: I don't like these!  (Read 131 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
I don't like these!
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »
The series of modern counterstamps appeared the past few weeks on ebay. I think it's disturbing that someone would try to profit from this worldwide crisis. To make matters worse, the issuer has dubbed them the "Pandemic Series. I don't like these one bit.

I'm not sure who this person is, but appears to be located in North Carolina. I know most of the small number of modern active counterstampers, but not this one. The majority of modern issuers are above board and are careful to describe their work as such. None are there to deceive anyone or would they do anything like this. All of these I've seen are struck on modern US coins, mostly dated 2020.

Any way you look at it, this is just wrong in my opinion.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: I don't like these!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
A tasteless member of the "fast buck" crowd, trying to fool the brainless "get rich quickly" crowd. Poor coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
Indeed not good to cash in on this. I wouldn't have any problems with people releasing these kind of countermarked coins into circulation though.

Some time ago I came across a photo of a UK coin someone made where on Queen Elizabeth's portrait a face mask was stamped or scratched.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »
Indeed not good to cash in on this. I wouldn't have any problems with people releasing these kind of countermarked coins into circulation though.

Some time ago I came across a photo of a UK coin someone made where on Queen Elizabeth's portrait a face mask was stamped or scratched.
That would be acceptable, I suppose, but never for profit.

I've seen something with a face mask on the Queen too. I think it was a 1-pound note, but not sure about that.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
Here's the note...a 5 pound.

Bruce
Always Faithful