Author Topic: Provincial Coinage - Roman Empire - Cástulo (120 b.C.)  (Read 79 times)

Offline Galaico

Provincial Coinage - Roman Empire - Cástulo (120 b.C.)
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »
Today, Europe Day is celebrated.
For that purpose I take the opportunity to share a coin from my collection.

In Greek mythology, Europa was the beautiful daughter of Agenor, king of Tire, who was kidnapped by Zeus, in the form of a bull, and taken to the island of Crete.
This mythological episode led to the Greeks in Classical Antiquity giving the name "Europe" to the territories outside Greece. In the 5th century BC, the Greek historian Herodotus divided the known world into three continents: Europe, Asia and Libya (Africa).

Ae. As.
12,87 g.
Anv.: Male head left. Outer legend Q.ISC.F behind. L.QVL.F before.
Rev.: Abduction of Europa right, M.C.F. below.

Ref.: Villaronga 2174

Attached:
The mosaic panel “Abduction of Europe”, from the Greek-Roman city of Zeugma, dating from the second century after Christ, and currently at the Zeugma Mosaic Museum, in Gaziantep, Turkey.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:12:10 PM by Galaico »
Galaico - JPSAV

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Provincial Coinage - Roman Empire - Cástulo (120 b.C.)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
Just to show how enduring the myth is, here is a currently circulating euro coin.

BTW, Castulo is now a ruin collection near Linares. Galaico, you are obviously interested in the coins of Roman Spain?

Peter
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:35:14 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Galaico

Re: Provincial Coinage - Roman Empire - Cástulo (120 b.C.)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »
Just to show how enduring the myth is, here is a currently circulating euro coin.

BTW, Castulo is now a ruin collection near Linares. Galaico, you are obviously interested in thee coins of Roman Spain?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I particularly like Ibero-Roman coins.
Galaico - JPSAV