Author Topic: Time-Life reproduction  (Read 208 times)

Offline Henk

Time-Life reproduction
« on: May 01, 2020, 03:15:24 PM »
I could not find any information about the reproduction coin shown here. On the bottom of the reverse it shows TIME LIFE. I assume this is one of a series but I could not find another example of this or another.

Diameter is about 25 mm, it has a silvery finish and the weight is 8,2 grammes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Time-Life reproduction
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
The publishing house was popularly known as Time-Life from sometime after 1936 to 1990. I would say the token came about around 1980 and in the US only, possibly connected to the Hunt brothers silver scare - they owned a large number of high-priced classical coins, possibly as an advertising tokens or a gift for extending a subscription. I am not aware of a series of imitation coins from Time-Life.

peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »
New to me too, possibly only issued in the US.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
Very nice looking reproductions, Henk. I struck out on this one too. Tried image searches and all other things I could think of.

Sometimes on pieces like this you can try contacting the company and see if anyone responds with information. Frankly, I've had little luck doing it myself but it might be worth the effort. Thought most of the time I haven't even gotten a response other than ""sorry", on a few occasions I've been provided with some useful information. Made my day. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful