News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Jital - Samanta Deva - Bull & Horseman - Kabul Shahi Tye # 14

Started by @josephjk, May 08, 2020, 04:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@josephjk

3.23, 18 mm
850-1000 AD Gandhāra - Ohind mint

THCoins

Again not Tye#21 because of the head of the horseman and no visarga behind DeVa.
So this also falls under Tye#14.

Figleaf

I like these early types, because they help me understand the later ones. The head tells me the horseman was bearded and the bull humped (OK, I'd figured that out before). The shield is clear, but the lance now looks like a standard. Is that a flag at 11 o'clock? It would be interesting, as I would not expect a ruler to bear a standard, while a lance would fit a king.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

Well, these coins were made over 500 years. During this time the concept of what the makers thought they were depicting might have changed.
A always call the "stick" a bannerstaff. On some you can also see a clear dot at the bottom end fitting with the concept of a standard. But then there are also hybrid ones with both a banner and a clear lancepoint (See below, this is a Tye#21 type). So, frankly, i don't really know.

@josephjk