Author Topic: Jersey: 2 pounds Charles Dickens 2020  (Read 813 times)

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Jersey: 2 pounds Charles Dickens 2020
« on: May 05, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
To commemorate the 150 years since the death of Charles Dickens, Jersey will later this month release a commemorative 2 pound coin.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:13:26 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: Jersey: 2 pounds Charles Dickens 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »
To commemorate the 150 years since the birth of Charles Dickens, Jersey will later this month release a commemorative 2 pound coin.
With next week being the last week of May, do you know if this will be issued as scheduled?  Just that I have a few coins to order from Change Checker/Westminster and was going to wait for this one in order to save on postage (even though they still seem to send them out separately).

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
The coin will commemorate the 150 years since his death (9 June 1870). I have just amended this.

With next week being the last week of May, do you know if this will be issued as scheduled?  Just that I have a few coins to order from Change Checker/Westminster and was going to wait for this one in order to save on postage (even though they still seem to send them out separately).

I expect the coin will be issued in May as sheduled. Possibly with a slight delay to the first week of June.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »
The Government of Jersey has informed me that because of delays at Tower Mint related to COVID-19, the issuance of the coin has been postponed until July.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
Is there any more news on this?  Still waiting for it to be issued so I can make my backlog of orders!

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
Is there any more news on this?  Still waiting for it to be issued so I can make my backlog of orders!

There is at present no further information. You will have to be patient.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 10:09:30 AM »
The Bailiwick of Jersey just issued a new set of 5 coins of two pounds commemorating Charles Dickens... There is a silver version in colour.

How many 2 pound coins have been issued this year?  ::)

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Online Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
Keep the maths simple. How many £2 coins have been issued that have a relevance to Jersey?

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
I had been trying to keep on top of Jersey and Guernsey issues, having abandoned Isle of Man, Gibraltar and Falklands, but this Charles Dickens issue is one too far for me (that and the Christmas carol Guernsey 50p set). I’ll restrict myself to UK-only 50p and £2 issues from now on (£5 has long since gone off my radar).

Is it just the Jersey Zoo £2 that had any relevance to Jersey?  This is my other problem with them - it’s essentially just Jersey’s and Guernsey’s names being used (and presumably the States treasuries of both Bailiwicks being paid handsomely for it).  I don’t feel that these are “proper” Jersey or Guernsey coins and therefore I can disassociate them from what I’m interested in.

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 09:05:52 AM »
Personally I only still collect coins and stamps that have a direct connection to the issuer. It makes a neat collection that way. Unfortunately hardly anyone does the same. So that's the way I would solve it, only still the commemoratives and pictoral coins that have a direct connection to the island. With the enormous amount of issues (which will only increase further), it is just no longer possible to collect everything.

Online Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 10:36:50 AM »
Is it just the Jersey Zoo £2 that had any relevance to Jersey?

I also came to that conclusion, but why six coins?
All coins that I collect, just like eurocoin, have an association with the issuing country, whether they be for circulation or collector pieces. I consider all other coins as a waste of natural resource.
In addition some are not quality items and the research behind the design can be somewhat lacking from the minor mints.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
Since he was certainly an important author who wrote in English, it might make some sense to say that English language countries have a closer cultural connection to Dickens than some others. The borders that we sometimes set up in our minds may well help us when it comes to countering the emission diarrhea of some issuers. :D  But one might just as well say that "my collection consists of coins only that were issued at face", or "will not buy no gold coins" etc.

Think of poor San Marino - certainly not every person who gets commemorated on its coins has a personal connection to the country. But many of them lived at times when the area between the Alps and Sicily was a conglomerate of several countries anyway. Borders change, and at least in Continental Europe quite a few of those who get honored on coins traveled a lot, even (think Bertha von Suttner) posthumously.

Talking about travel - Dickens did stay in Jersey for some time. OK, New Jersey. ;D

Christian