Peace declared june 1946 medal

Started by Henk, May 01, 2020, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

I have the following medal:

Aluminium 32,5 mm
O: H.M. KING GEORGE VI.   H.M. QUEEN ELIZABETH. / (crowned busts of king and queen)
R: (flying angel between two laurel branches with a banner) PEACE  /DECLARED JUNE 1946

The 6 in the date is not entirely clear due to some wear, it looks like an 8 but it definetely is a 6

I am wondering which peace is commemorated here. Certainly to late for the end of WWII. Please help.

malj1

Peace celebrations were held in London on that day.   

This is a signed personal message from the King which was sent to British Children in 1946 to commemorate the post WW2 London Victory Celebrations which were held on the 8th June 1946.

The scroll was authorised and sent on behalf of the King. It features the Kings Crest, message and printed signature. On the back are important war dates. It is printed on card and measures 170mm x 270mm.

I was at school at the time and received a book to commemorate the event from the Essex education Committee. (I didn't live in London)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Henk

Nice document! The medal could have been issued because of the celebrations. I think however that the inscription should then have been PEACE CELEBRATED. So I am not yet convinced.