Author Topic: Spanish and Portuguese telephone tokens  (Read 391 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Spanish and Portuguese telephone tokens
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 11:40:01 PM »
Hello Indomini, welcome to WoC. Don't worry about the Wikipedia software. I am still learning even after having used it for quite some time. I tried to help you with the picture and made it worse, but we have two more people looking at it now and we'll make sure your picture will come out nice. Thank you for adding it.

The difference between iron and zinc is easy: zinc is not magnetic, iron is. If you think a description is wrong, you can change it. My source for this listing is Henk Groenendijk's booklet A Catalog of Telephone and Telegraph tokens of the world. Mr. Groenendijk is a member of this forum. He donated his book, so you can download it here.

Your English is not a problem. It is a foreign language for most of us. The purpose of a language is not to be perfect but to communicate. I understand what you are saying, so everything is fine.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Indomini16

Spanish and Portuguese telephone tokens
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 12:12:43 AM »
This token is magnetic it’s why I believe it’s not zinc. I have also more tokens than the one listed :-)
Thanks for the book, I am actually in discussions to purchase a hard copy, but it’s no that easy.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 12:13:18 AM »
Welcome Mathieu good to see you here.

Your token appears to be zinc plated iron.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Indomini16

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
I made some change on the page to make it more clear, I also corrected some info and add new infos.
I have few questions:
1 - I put G 5 as a reference to the D token even if the desription made by Groenendijk isn't the same as the picture. I beleive there is an error in the catalogue for the Reverse it should be: D (arrow left) / CTNE and not: (arrow) / CTNE (G) (blank). Please let me know if someone have others info
2 - For TSP.03 I don't understand very well the concept of variety in this case because T and T X are 2 different tokens...
3 - For the X token (G9) there is 2 variant a thin X and a Bold X, should we mention it?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 06:40:11 AM »
You are welcome to work on this or any other page in WoT to make it better. I am not an expert on these tokens. I just provide a structure for those who have not yet taken the threshold of the Wikipedia language. You decide on what you want to do with the structure. It's not just the illustrations or the tables, you can also work on the text. The only criterium is making it better, i.e. either adding missing stuff or making things easier to find or to understand.

On your questions:
1 - Cross-references are fine, but not an absolute necessity. Take into account that the Groenendijk book is well researched, but over 30 years old. New information has become available.
2 - In general, making a difference between a type and a variety may be difficult. Different collectors will make different decisions. Let me know if you need help changing the structure.
3 - Yes, please mention everything that users would see as a variety, even if it isn't, but provide correct information: take into account that the bold X may just be struck with more pressure or new dies. Avoid "varieties exist". It just frustrates and doesn't add anything.

For instance, a copper-nickel clad brass token may look like copper-nickel when new, but brass when worn. This is not a real variety, but the possibility that the tokens look yellow, rather than white should be explained. Same for e.g. a dot or small letter that may disappear due to a dirty die. Likewise for countermarks applied on one side or the other side Also, plastic may discolours easily, e.g. in the sun or in the laundry. That doesn't count as a real variety.

Personally if a token is a countermarked coin, I wouldn't count different hosts (let alone different dates) as a different type, but some people do.

Real varieties, like different fonts or slightly different design arrangements should be quantified as much as possible, e.g. not "large font" but "M in METRO is 2.5 mm wide". It is sufficient to point out the most visible difference if there are more differences. The aim is that a user can classify his items correctly with ease.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Indomini16

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »
Thanks for your clear answer.
I made some changes, I have a problem with TSP.07 varieties page, I have 1 row more in the second tab and I don't know how to remove it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:30:30 PM by Indomini16 »