Author Topic: List of islands of Guadeloupe: tokens  (Read 401 times)

Online Alex Island

• World of Islands
  • All islands around the world
Re: List of islands of Guadeloupe: tokens
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »
For a collection:
Beautiful souvenir medal 2007 - Informative enough.
I do not know what it is... : 
All islands around the world & islands coin

Online Alex Island

• World of Islands
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 06:51:33 AM »
One more. Note that since 2003, Saint Barts is no longer a dependency of Guadeloupe

Peter

In this case, you should also consider the island of Saint Martin :

Dependencies of Guadeloupe - Wikipedia

(с) "Saint-Barthélemy and the French side of Saint-Martin were dependencies of Guadeloupe before they became autonomous."

Saint Martin island tokens:

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
Saint Martin and Sint Maarten are the same island, but the island is divided in two parts. One is French and a dependency of Guadeloupe, The other is Dutch and for the better part of its colonial existence a dependency of Curaçao. The coins (not tokens) you show come in three classes: French, Dutch and fake. Only the French ones are part of Guadeloupe coins. In reality, all three classes circulated all over the island and the fakes may be modern or contemporary. It is not possible to separate the three classes with these photos.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Alex Island

• World of Islands
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »
It seems that there are no more islands in this group ..

But it turns out that there are more!

Pinel island - Îlet Pinel — Wikipédia

L’îlet Pinel est une petite île inhabitée située (au plus près) à 170 m à l'Est de l'île de Saint-Martin, et à 950 m du lieu-dit Cul-de-Sac (de débarcadère à débarcadère). Cette petite île fait partie de la collectivité d'outre-mer française de Saint-Martin.

Commerce and the entertainment industry expand your horizons! ..

Îlet de Pinel token:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:21:24 PM by Alex Island »

Online Alex Island

• World of Islands
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
Tintamarre island - Île Tintamarre - Wikipedia

Île Tintamarre is a small island with an area of approximately 0.8 square kilometres (0.3 sq mi). It is located in the Caribbean Sea, about 3 kilometres from the island of Saint Martin, and is administered as part of the French overseas collectivity of Saint Martin.

Two tokens issued for this island; seems like a fantasy..

Île Tintamarre unusual & fantasy coins:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:48:38 PM by Alex Island »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »
Blatant fantasy abusing an official I.E.O.M obverse.

Ptere
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Alex Island

• World of Islands
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »
Blatant fantasy abusing an official I.E.O.M obverse.

Ptere

Yes..
I put the word in quotation marks, and added a key definition for such a series of amateur coins - the word "unusual & fantasy"

"unusual coins"

I collect them all too; but it’s hard for me to determine their exact category in numismatics, because these are not souvenirs, not fakes, and not “tourist coins”;
it is rather "numismatic incidents of geography!".

I collected many hundreds of them in photographs, and have not yet decided what to do about it ..

Perhaps the distant descendants will appreciate ..  ???  This question is really "painful."
At the same time, not to mark them and not to mention - it would also not be correct, because they somehow exist and confuse coin collectors..  There are too many of them, more and more, and this forces us to separate them into a separate category of pseudo-coins, and also to define them.
Personally, I like it because it matches the general geographical theme of my collections. But those who buy them like real coins may not like this, and this is understandable.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:40:28 PM by Alex Island »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
Fantasies are an unhappy fact of life. The only defence is eduction. If you want to collect some, fine, as long as you know they are fantasies. I don't have the right to tell you what to collect, but I don't want you to think you have found a rare coin that is of interest to coin collectors.

This particular fantasy shows a design owned by the French government, with the letters I.E.O.M. - Institut d'Emission d'Outre-Mer, which has not issued this coin. This is the equivalent of pasting an Apple logo on a cookie tin and offering it for sale as a computer. That's fraud.

Peter