Author Topic: Lot of 6 small islamic coins  (Read 205 times)

Offline Treverer

Lot of 6 small islamic coins
« on: April 21, 2020, 07:59:05 PM »
I kindly ask the community for identification of a lot of 6 small silver coins from the Islamic world. In my opinion, all be assigned to one period and dynasty. I have searched all available catalogs without success. Your expertise will be very much appreciated.
IMG 1a+b * 0,70 g * 12,5 mm
IMG 2a+b * 0,92 g * 12,1 mm
IMG 3a+b * 0,65 g * 11,7 mm
Photos of the coins 4 - 6 will be presented in a second post.
IMG 4a+b * 0,77 g * 14,5 mm
IMG 5a+b * 0,89 g * 12,0 mm
IMG 6a+b * 0,79 g * 11,3 mm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:16:45 PM by Figleaf »

Offline derek

Re: Lot of 6 small islamic coins
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »
first association is ilkhanid, unusual though,  local issue ? maybe someone who can actually read it......

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
Dear Treverer & derek, the three coins have similar center field inscription, the information is in the margins which is not easy to read.
1a reads: لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له , La illah illa Allah wahdahu la sharik lahu.
Margin: not clear.
1b from bottom to top reads: لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله , La illah illah Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah.
2a inside square reads: لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله , La illah illah Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah.
Margin: 4 sides indicating mint & date.
2b: inside a circle reads: لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له , La illah illa Allah wahdahu la sharik lahu.
Margin:  لله الامر من قبل و من بعد و يومئذن يفرح المؤمنون بنصر الله  , To God is the will before and after and on that day the believers shall rejoice in God's victory
3a: inside square reads: لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله , La illah illah Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah.
Margin: 4 sides indicating mint & date.
3b: inside a circle reads:  لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له , La illah illa Allah wahdahu la sharik lahu.
I hope that helps.

Maythem
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:23:50 AM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline derek

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
So it is all generic praise of God and the prophet, the mint names and dates would provide more intel on the origens of the coins....  :)

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »
Thank you Derek, on the last coin 3b, in the margin, it looks like " Nishapure (Nisapure) نيسبور " followed by the word " Year سنه " indicating that the mint place is " Nishapur نيشابور " a city in Razavi Khorasan Province Iran. The rest of the date is not visible.

Maythem
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:25:34 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
See also here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Treverer

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »
I apologize for the longer absence. Many thanks to derek, Peter and especially Maythem for clarifying the inscription of the first three coins. One side of coin No 6 in my 2nd post (Lot of 6 small islamic coins, Post #2) is indeed different.
I had the same association as derek that it could be Ilkhan. Despite thorough research I could however not find any comparative pieces in any publication of Ilkhan or Mongolian coins. I wonder whether these small size silver pieces are perhaps tokens at all, rather than coins…