Safavids, Isma'il Shah I , 1/2 shahi / Hilla mint

Started by Jjmartin220, April 15, 2020, 12:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjmartin220

Hi,
Can anyone assist me in identifying this coin.  I don't have a scale, but do have the measurements.  21mm across & 2.25mm thick.  It's silver.  I picked it up in Baghdad about 15 years ago and have been trying to figure it out ever since.  Since I'm on a COVID 19 lock-down, and have all the time in the world now, I've decided to redouble my efforts to identify this.  Can anyone help?  Thanks you in advance.

John

Jjmartin220

Whoops.  I messed up the attachment.  Here it is:

aws22

Dear Jjmartin220, your coin may be from Savavid or Jalayrid dynasties, but we will assume it is a Safavid coin:
Safavid, Shah Isma'il I, the founder of dynasty, Date? , Silver 1/2 shahi, Hilla Mint (AH 907-930/1501-1524 AD)
Obverse (First photo): Shows within a small cartouche " Zarb Hilla ضرب حله " at 3 O'clock. Around it reads:
" السلطان العادل الهادی الوالی ابوالمظفر شاه اسمعیل بهادر خان خلد الله ملکه ", Al-Sultan Al-'Adil Al-Hadi Al-Wali Abu'l-muzaffar Shah Isma'il Bahadur Khan Khallada Allah Mulkahu, meaning, "the just Sultan, the Perfect, Father of Victory, Shah Isma'il the Brave Khan, may God perpetuate his Kingdom".
Reverse (Second photo): within a square is the Shiite formula (Kalima) " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ", La illah l'Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, 'Ali Wali Allah, meaning, " no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, 'Ali is the chosen one of God ".
Please note that the mint " Hilla حله " which is a city near Babylon in Iraq, is a common mint for Jalayrid coins (AH 739-835/1338-1432 AD) so it could be a Jalayrid coin and not Safavid.

Maythem

Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Jjmartin220

Maythem,

Thank you so much for looking at my coin and writing such a detailed assessment.  I'm very grateful.  Thats interesting that I picked this up so close to the area it was minted.  Hilla is pretty close to Baghdad if I remember correctly. I'll use your information to learn a little more about that timeframe and the names you wrote.  Thank you again.  Best wishes.

John 

aws22

Thank you Peter & John, yes city of Hilla is 118 Km south of Baghdad about 11 Km from Babylon.

Maythem

saro

Well done Maythem ! and congratulations to you Jjmartin220 for this find : it isn't a common coin it seems  :)
With no doubt, it's a Safavid coin of Shah Isma'il I likely struck at time when Isma'il took Baghdad and the neighbouring area in 914 AH.
The mint "Hilla" is reported as safavid mint by R.Mathee (map 2), but I haven't been able to see a catalogued coin?

From the legible parts of the legend present on the coin, I propose a slight modification of the ruler's title, which includes the word "al-kamil /  الکامل(the Perfect),  well visible at upper left of the central cartouche

السلطان العادل الکامل الهادی الوالی ابوالمظفر سلطان اسمعیل بهادر خان الصفوی "
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro, it is there but by mistake I omitted the word " al-Kamil الكامل " in order to reduce the length of the text; it is my fault. In addition to that I removed the word " al-Safavi الصفوي ", which could be there.
For Shah Isma'il I coins, there are two versions of the text, in this case the second version applies:
" السلطان العادل الهادی الوالی ابو المظفر شاه اسمعیل بهادر خان خلد الله ملکه و سلطنه "
" السلطان العادل الکامل الهادی الوالی ابو المظفر سلطان اسمعیل بهادر خان الصفوی الحسینی خلد الله ملکه "

Maythem

saro

Quote from: Jjmartin220 on April 15, 2020, 01:44:42 PM
Thank you so much for looking at my coin and writing such a detailed assessment.
Dear John, may I suggest you to post a sharper picture of your coin to include it in good place in our WoC index "Iran-Afghanistan"?  :)

Jjmartin220

Wow,  thank you all for this information.  It's very much appreciated.  I'd like to post a higher resolution picture, but previous attempts said that the file was too big for this forum.  Is there another way to post it? 

Figleaf

With the maximum allowed, you can post really large pictures by reducing pixel depth. Most computer screens can only show 300 dpi, while scanners and cameras can go to 1200 dpi. Much more information here. I use a Mac with Graphic Converter to reduce pixel depth.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

arrangement posted from sharper pictures sent by Jjmartin220 
An unpublished Safavid coin ; a new historical coin has just surfaced :perfect:

aws22

Thank you Saro. It looks much better now.

Maythem