Author Topic: SANDOZ Replicas of ancient coins  (Read 132 times)

Online Henk

SANDOZ Replicas of ancient coins
« on: April 20, 2020, 05:33:23 PM »
I recently obtained replicas of two antique coins which are very well made and somewhat deceptive. These are lacking from Mal's list. The replicas can be described as follows:

The first one: Caracalla, AD 198-217
AE30, 15.7g, 10h; Bronze Thrace, Serdica; copy
O: AVT K MAVP CEV ANT…. (Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right)
R: OVΛΠIAC CEPΔIKHC  (Asklepios standing, looking left, leaning on serpent-entwined staff)  SANDOZ, in small letters, below Asklepios
Note: The rod of Asclepius, a snake-entwined staff, is a symbol of medicine

For an original see: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/caracalla/_serdica_AE30_Moushmov_4814.jpg

A specimen was sold in a CNG auction and realized $ 45. https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=364680

The second one: Volusianus AD 251-253
Antoninianus, 3.4g, 5h; Silvered; copy
O: IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG / (radiate, draped bust right) / SANDOZ, in small letters, below bust
R: SALVS AVGG (Salus standing right, feeding serpent in arms)
Note:Salus is the goddess of physical well-being

For an original see: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/volusian/RIC_0184.jpg

The description in above mentioned CNG auction gives some  information about these restrikes: The Swiss pharmaceutical company Sandoz might be best known for discovering the psychedelic properties of LSD, but in the late twentieth century it also dabbled in coinage. Replicas were made of ancient Greek and Roman coin types which featured health-related imagery, such as the silphium plant or Aesculapius and Hygeia, and distributed to healthcare professionals across the continent. Each coin featured the firm’s name in the reverse exergue.
Elsewhere I found that these were given to physicians as presents. The definite date of issue I could not find. 

Looking for further information I found these copies mentioned at: GELÖST: römische Bronze - Identifikation von Münzen - Münz -Board
so it seams that at least 6 different ones exist.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: SANDOZ Replicas of ancient coins
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
See this thread and this one.

Apparently, there was a whole wave of advertisement copies of classical coins given by pharmaceutical companies to doctors somewhere in the 1960s. It's a great fun collecting area. So much more interesting than the oil companies and their soccer players (but BP did coins also).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: SANDOZ Replicas of ancient coins
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »
There is an index but I don't think these ones have been listed yet. 

An index of Replica (reproduction) coins
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.