The coins of Porbandar - the complete series.

Started by asm, April 14, 2020, 05:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Quote from: drnsreedhar on July 11, 2020, 08:45:52 AM
Yes. That is what I wanted to know Amit. Even after Mughals holding that land for long, ALL these IPS held on to a common style from the far back  times. But some IPS nearby stood differently. Is there something like  a common ancestral connection between them leading back to the Muzaffiri lineage that others did not possess?

Interesting question, Dr Sreedhar. Yes. Nawanagar Jams trace their lineage to the Kutch Rao's. In fact, Nawanagar was formed after one of the Rao's brother revolted and was driven out of Kutch. But the common linage for Nawanagar, Junagadh and Kutch come from the permission given to them by Muzzaffar Shah to mint coins. The word Kori seems to have originated from the word 'Kunwari' (princess) - of Kutch whose hand was given in marriage to Muzzaffar Shah to forge an alliance between the two.

There is no information yet known as to the first issues of Porbandar. The other states had the dates and / or the Rulers name on the coins so one can attribute the first coins.

I have posted all these early coins in different threads on this board and you would be able to find them. If you feel it to be an advantage, I can post all the first / early issues of these states in a single thread - which may help.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Pabitra

Quote from: asm on July 11, 2020, 05:42:00 PM

The word Kori seems to have originated from the word 'Kunwari' (princess) - of Kutch whose hand was given in marriage to Muzzaffar Shah to forge an alliance between the two.

I was always under the impression that word "Kori" is from the "Kaudi" or similar sounding word for sea shell which were used as money in these coastal areas. As a matter of fact, even Ghana Cedi traces its roots from their word for common sea shell.

drnsreedhar

Thank you Amit. This is fascinating! I am always wonder struck by the cultural diversity of India that has originated from all these types of relationships that prevailed over centuries. Impossible to understand in full depth, but motivating to learn. Gujarat owns a rich innate culture of its own that has survived all tests of time. Another typical example is the Tamil culture prevailing over Tanjavur- a traditional Chola culture with mixed Maratha customs that stands alone in dance, music and paintings, from even other parts of Tamilnadu. Another is Kanjeepuram/Kanjeevaram culture of textile arts that is world-famous and finds its origin from the Pallava ages. Mural paintings of Kerala will make one dazzled by their beauty. Mughal influence on Rajasthali paintings is still another wonder. We have lots and lots of such treasures in Banaras, Bengal, Kashmir and almost every township in India! I was fortunate once to witness successful weight levering by Khalasis using their traditional technique with ropes, where latest cranes failed! Thanks once again for this information on traditional influence on numistmatic calligraphy.
Dr.Sreedhar

MORGENSTERNN

Hello
For that very coinage Numista indicate that coins were issued from 1570 to 1890, see here https://fr.numista.com/catalogue/pieces64609.html 

but some comments on Zeno indicate a closing of mint in the 1910's
coins #77266 and #124028
So I wonder who's right on that point
Thank you

asm

Hi,
I have seen the 2 post on ZENO that you refer to. In one, Frank (Timmerman) mentions about the mint closure in 1910. In the other the same date is mentioned by Alex Naumenko. Both these are well known collectors and researchers of Indian coins and I would surely respect their opinion.
However, what needs to considered is the fact that the coins of Porbandar do not show a date (except for the pseudo date 987. So there is no numismatic evidence unlike other states like Navanagar & Kutch who had started adding the date on their coins. What we also know is that most states were asked to stop minting abd we hardly find coins of any state post VS 1949 - which would be 1890's. In fact, even a state as powerful as Baroda stopped minting in VS 1950 (except for the Commemorative Portrait coins which were minted for a few years thereafter. Only the couple of Muslim rulers like Radhanpur, Junagadh & Cambay could continue till around 1910.
Looking to this I would go with the mint closing date for Porbandar, ruled by the Rana (a Hindu ruler) as 1890's and not 1910. Both the articles referred to by Frank in the said ZENO listing are pre 1890's and I do not think they would have shown the date of mint closure.

Amit   
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"