Author Topic: Currencies with no subunits  (Read 209 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Currencies with no subunits
« on: July 14, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
How many coin series have no subunits these days? The Japanese yen was once equal to 1000 rin or 100 sen. Inflation made those subunits meaningless long ago, and now only the yen remains. Perhaps in some cases no subunits ever existed, and only a unit has ever been used.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Currencies with no subunits
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
Looking at my other topic, Analysing a coin series to predict currency redenomination, I see that Iran (rial), Indonesia (rupiah) and Tanzania (shilingi) now no longer have subunits in circulation. Long-term inflation has killed the subunits.

Previously Indonesia had 100 sen to the rupiah, Tanzania had 100 senti to the shilingi, and Iran had 100 dinars to the rial.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:07 PM »
Kenya's recent new coin series has a 1 shilingi coin as the lowest denomination, so presumably cents are no longer used.

India now has only rupees, I believe, while over in South America Colombia now has only pesos, and Paraguay has only guaranies.

Offline redlock

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 08:06:01 PM »
The (current) chilean Peso had the subunit centavos from 1975 till 1983. Since then, it's only Pesos.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Most of the indian subcontinent does not issue sub unit coins as well though they may not have demonetised them afaik

Offline stef

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
I think that the Vanuatu vatu never had subunits. Also the Ukrainian karbovanetz (1992-1996).

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:09 PM »
I think that the Vanuatu vatu never had subunits.

That is true. I wonder why. So it is a different case from Chile, which used to have centavos.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »
Most of the indian subcontinent does not issue sub unit coins as well though they may not have demonetised them afaik
Entire Indian subcontinent has given up on sub unit coins. Pakistan and Nepal gave up paisa, Bangladesh gave up Poisha and Sri Lanka gave up cents. The last sub unit coin of 50 paise was minted in India in 2016. Only India passed Coinage Act in 2011 which made coins of 25 paise and below as no longer legal tender. Rest of the nations depended on melting of old coins by public to remove them from circulation.