Author Topic: tyrolienne lottery token  (Read 128 times)

Offline Henk

tyrolienne lottery token
« on: April 05, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
A large, 51 mm brass token or medal with a value of "5 lots" lottery tickets.

O: Loterie la petite Tyrolienne / crowned arms with three hearst / BON pour 5 Lots / valable pendent le duree de la fete / A.BOTO
R: Couple, woman singing and man playing harmonica, both in Tyrol costume

Probably French and dating from second half of last century. I could not find any information. Please help identifying this item!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: tyrolienne lottery token
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 07:37:08 PM »
I am pretty sure that the arms are real. That's because of the order dangling from it at six o'clock (no' it's not the legion d'honneur, which has five arms). This is typically a device added after the first world war. Unfortunately, the only town sporting these arms I could find is french-speaking Montignez in Switzerland and I don't think that town is a good candidate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:27 PM »
It is looking likely that the Swiss Montignez is the origin. Many Swiss towns have, or have had, a FĂȘte au Tyrol according to that bastion of probity, Wikipedia. They seem particularly susceptible to the sounds of the accordion.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 01:56:48 AM »
Not sure if this result helps!

Corpus Christi 2019 was organized by the parish of Montignez for the whole of the Pastoral Unit of Living Water. Accompanied by the brass band, in the presence of the first communions, many of us celebrated on this Thursday, June 20, 2019.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 02:19:34 AM »
Montignez has a rich musical history. Due to a linguistic glitch, I'm unsure if they have a history of a municipal band or something grander, perhaps an orchestra. Regardless, there are references in some of the older Jura ephemera to instruments being bought for this musical aggregation by funds from the loterie. Some references are very recent, C21st.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »
very nice design.

Dale

Offline Henk

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
Thanks for the information and ideas but I am still wondering. The arms of Montignez are indeed three hearts but different from that on the token: two above and one below. Also Montignez is quite small, 251 inhabitants. Not a location likely to issue a token.