News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Royal Dutch Mint orders for Cook Islands and Sierra Leone

Started by eurocoin, March 23, 2020, 10:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Yesterday I found that I through my university have free access to records of the Dutch Companies House. This way I also had access to the annual reports of the Royal Dutch Mint that it no longer publishes since 2015.

The annual report of 2016 mentions that they have an order from Sierra Leone for 2017.
The annual report of 2017 mentions that they have an order from the Cook Islands for 2018.

Does anyone know which coins were produced?

Could the order for Sierra Leone be for the standard circulating 500 Leones coin dated 2016?
And the Cook Islands order is that the Land of Water 10 dollar coin?

Big_M

Sierra Leone - to my surprise last week I noticed on the market Sierra Leone sets including 2017 dated 100 Leone coins (1996 type). The original date was minted by KNM. The sets also contains 2016 dated 500 Leone coin (2004 type), but these were originally minted by the British Royal Mint.

eurocoin

It is indeed surprising that these Sierra Leone coins were minted again. It is likely that the 2017-dated 100 leone coin of Sierra Leone was indeed produced at Royal Dutch Mint. It will be interesting to know who did the 2016-dated 500 Leone coin.

My contact at the Ministry of Finance and Economic Management of the Cook Islands just informed me that they have not ordered circulating coins from Royal Dutch Mint but that Royal Dutch Mint does produce collectors coins for the Cook Islands. The one they produced in 2018 likely indeed was the Dutch-themed 'Land of Water' coin.

Big_M

Nothing on these coins is stated in the 2016 and 2017 annual reports of the (central) Bank of Sierra Leone.