Author Topic: the American trade Dollar  (Read 1307 times)

Austrokiwi

the American trade Dollar
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:02:30 PM »
I recently obtained a copy of  " The United States Trade Dollar; America's Only Unwanted, Unhonored Coin" By John H.Willem, Published by Sanford, J Durst, 1959, 1965, and lastly 1983.

Its a well researched book that obviously covers the US ttrade dollar.  I hadn't realised the muddled development of the US$ and the problems caused by the US$ having a lower silver standard than the Mexican dollar.  For any one interested in this area its well worth reading.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: the American trade Dollar
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
Amazon US currently shows an amazing price range for the 1983 edition, from $50 (used) to $2.28 (new).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

Re: the American trade Dollar
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:16:07 AM »
I only paid a few US$; the postage, which was reasonable, was more expensive than the book. At even $50.00 ( assumming thats for a first edition in perfect condition) the book is a good buy.  What impressed me is the Author has placed the trade dollar in context to the point it is not  mentioned until chapter 4.  The First few chapters( there are 11 chapters in all) in the book are as follows:
1. The origin of the American standard silver dollar
2. Use of Spanish-Mexican coins in the United States;exportation of US Silver coins
3.  Silver coinage in the China trade
4. Inclusion of the trade dollar in Coinage act of 1873