Author Topic: Please help explain why this is a fake  (Read 449 times)

Offline Hitesh

Please help explain why this is a fake
« on: March 11, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
Hi all,

Posting after long. Could you please help me understand why the specimen below is a fake?
I do not have the weight unfortunately, but are there additional evident giveaways?

Thanks in advance!

Download free Indian Auction Catalogs and Books

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Please help explain why this is a fake
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
The "standard" ways of finding fakes are:
  • Weighing. Fakers seldom get the weight right.
  • Pedigree. Dealers tend to have few if any or almost exclusively fake coins.
  • Comparing with a known genuine coin. In this case, I wonder if the wiry, rounded script is normal.
  • Fake patina. Does not apply here.
  • Detail tinkering. Signs that detail was added or changed.
  • Roundness. The older the coin, the less round it is. This requires experience.

Metal content is often not a problem on modern fakes, but old fakes my have the wrong metal content. A jeweller may see immediately if silver content is high or low.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 10:40:03 PM »
Could anyone post a real coin of this type here? That might help.
— Paul

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 03:38:50 AM »
Uploaded.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »
Coffee table book quality pictures, Saikat! FWIW, it looks to me that the lettering on your coin is more natural and in line with other coins of this period. The top is flat on Saikat's coin. It looks rounded on Hitesh's specimen. Also, the letters are of the width I would expect on Saikat's coin and ever so slightly too thin on Hitesh's coin. Maybe I am imagining things, but the writing on Saikat's coin looks slightly more elegant to me, especially at line endings.

Not sure if this adds up to Hitesh's coin being a fake. After all, the dies were hand cut and all it takes is a chisel of different size and shape, but I think Hitesh's coin is doubtful at best, a pretty good fake at worst.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline WillieBoyd2

• New
    • My website:
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 03:59:28 PM »
Nice coins.

The original poster's Sultans of Delhi coin reverse center legend looks like Islam Shah (AH 952-960) but the date on the coin is AH 949 which is during the reign of Shir Shah (AH 946-952).

My mistake, the '4' in the date is a '5' which makes the date AH 959.

:)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 04:09:43 PM by WillieBoyd2 »
BrianRxm Website
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes

Offline Hitesh

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
Thanks everyone!

The calligraphy/lettering seems to be the major distinguishing factor between the real & the fake in the absence of the weight.
Also, I noticed that there is no test mark on the fake - quite unusual to see in similar coins mostly? (not a confirmation, but something that might warrant a second look)

@figleaf - you mention that the patina on the fake coin doesn't seem faked. So is this an older issue which allowed the the patina to build-up over years?

Thanks!   
Download free Indian Auction Catalogs and Books

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 08:50:39 PM »
No. It just means it doesn't look like you could wipe the patina off with a wet finger, something you can do if it has been applied recently with a chemical treatment. The sort of patina on your coin can be built up in a few decades, e.g. by keeping the coin in the wrong paper or in a cabinet made of improperly or insufficiently dried wood.

Peter