News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

George VI penny with CFS counterstamp

Started by Henk, March 11, 2020, 12:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

I have a George VI 1937 UK penny with the letters CFS stamped on it. Wikipedia lists many meanings of "CFS" an googling gives even more like  (Australian) County Fire System or Consejo Federal de Seguridad. The meaning I think may be likel is Central Flying School. This is the Royal Air Force's primary institution for the training of military flying instructors. It was established at Upavon Aerodrome, near Upavon, Wiltshire on 12 May 1912. I appreciate comments and other ideas!

malj1

I have these two tokens for Oxford Air Training School 10 CSE black plastic 29mm and 5 yellow plastic 29mm but these both read CSE and I have no idea to what this refers. ???

BTW this is more likely here: Country Fire Service but only in South Australia while the other states have other names.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Is that Oxford, England, or somewhere else? 10 and 5 seem odd denominations given the apparent age of the token (looks pre-1971).

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything for CSE either  >:(

brandm24

I can't think of anything either, but you got my attention so I'll check a few things out.

Bruce
Always Faithful

malj1

Quote from: FosseWay on March 11, 2020, 02:04:34 PM
Is that Oxford, England, or somewhere else? 10 and 5 seem odd denominations given the apparent age of the token (looks pre-1971).

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything for CSE either  >:(

Yes Oxford UK. apparently its decimal currency as it dates later, see this history from Wikipedia where more can be read.

Oxford Flying Club was opened by the Mayor of Oxford in 1939. However, restrictions placed on civil aviation during World War II curtailed its activities and the airfield operated as RAF Kidlington for the duration of hostilities. The club reopened in 1947, renamed as the Oxford Aeroplane Club. During the 1950s it gradually increased its fleet and, by 1960, had become a flying school geared to the training of professional pilots.

In 1961, the flying school's parent company, Oxford Aviation, merged with the Pressed Steel Company to become British Executive Air Services Ltd. (BEAS). Dedicated ground school buildings and student residential accommodation were provided on site, and the first fully integrated Commercial Pilot's Licence (CPL) and instrument rating (IR) courses began in May 1962.

In 1963, the BEAS Flying Training Division was renamed Oxford Air Training School. Since then, over twenty thousand trained commercial pilots and aircraft engineers have graduated from the school. Including the first ever Commercial Space Shuttle Pilot's Licence which was awarded in 1989. The school changed its name to Oxford Aviation Training (OAT) in the 1990

Malcolm

brandm24

The most common translation for CFS that I run into is for a medical condition known as chronic fatigue syndrome. The Urban Dictionary, as might be expected, comes up with a rude phrase that I have to mask. Well, here goes...Common F****** Sense. They generally gravitate towards the gutter so I'm not surprised.

I have a feeling the CFS is simply someone's initials and nothing more. The careful placement in front of the portrait and not over it suggests that the maker had no intention of making a political statement.

Bruce
Always Faithful

malj1

I agree may just be someone's initials but This page uses the term Central Flying School (CFS) and gives a good history.

The penny could well have been stamped CFS during WW2 as the date fits very well.

I don't think the medical condition known as chronic fatigue syndrome had been invented at that time! ???
Malcolm

brandm24

Quote from: malj1 on March 11, 2020, 11:33:28 PM
I agree may just be someone's initials but This page uses the term Central Flying School (CFS) and gives a good history.

The penny could well have been stamped CFS during WW2 as the date fits very well.

I don't think the medical condition known as chronic fatigue syndrome had been invented at that time! ???
Interesting history of the Central Flying School. I suppose chronic fatigue syndrome was around then but was called something else.

Your definition seems the most likely here.

Bruce
Always Faithful