Author Topic: Akbar Silver Rupee coin from the Bang mint  (Read 162 times)

Offline falcon77

Akbar Silver Rupee coin from the Bang mint
« on: March 04, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »
Hi I got this Mughal King Akbar silver rupee coin from the Bang mint. AH 1002/38 RY. An additional Persian letter "he" on the Rev.

The photo looks dull, but the coin is in good condition, and looks good! Any comments most welcome!

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Akbar Silver Rupee coin from the Bang mint
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »
Nice coin and difficult to get. Fortunately shows a miniscule part of the mint name. Most coins of this type do not show the mint name. Also, it appears that only in this one year they had the Ilahi dates on the coins. Zeno lists 1002 / 39.

Amit

PS: I am unable to spot the AH date. Please help.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline falcon77

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks ASM yes I was told this is a somewhat rare coin. What about my Shahjahan coin? I've posted it in this forum itself. Thanks!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
The regnal year is clear enough, falcon77, but if there is a date, it is off-flan. Since regnal year and calendar year start on a different day, it is not possible to link a regnal year to a single calendar year. Moreover, since regnal year and calendar year are usually on different sides of the coin, mistaken die pairing can lead to even more possibilities for regnal year/calendar year combinations.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline falcon77

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 03:29:02 PM »
The regnal year is clear enough, falcon77, but if there is a date, it is off-flan. Since regnal year and calendar year start on a different day, it is not possible to link a regnal year to a single calendar year. Moreover, since regnal year and calendar year are usually on different sides of the coin, mistaken die pairing can lead to even more possibilities for regnal year/calendar year combinations.

Peter
Yes completely agree date is off flan. Well I’m sure same coin is on the net with more information. I’ll look around. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk