Author Topic: My new Mughal Shahjahan coin  (Read 407 times)

Offline falcon77

My new Mughal Shahjahan coin
« on: March 04, 2020, 06:51:36 AM »
I purchased this Mughal King Shahjahan Silver Rupee coin. It's from the Bhakkar Mint, Silver Rupee, AH 1048/11 RY.

The coin is quite beautiful itself, but the photo is kind of dull. Comments are most welcome :-)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: My new Mughal Shahjahan coin
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 01:00:35 PM »
Nice one. The mint name is fairly clear. In the earlier issues of this mint, the mint name was read as Nagar (see this) and a lot of attributions were done accordingly - as Nagar Mint. It was not very long back that the error was discovered and corrected.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline falcon77

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 02:30:13 PM »
Thanks so much Amit, I enjoyed reading the page you mentioned here.. my coin is very pretty imho. I've made two nice purchases it seems. I appreciate your expertise. thanks!

Offline falcon77

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:11:37 AM »
Here's another latest photo of this coin.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
A very good illustration of how important light is when you take pictures of a coin, falcon77. The first picture was taken in neutral light, sunshine or white light. The colour is fine, but the quantity of light makes the coin seem tinny and you lose detail, as on an over-exposed photo. The second picture shows great detail, gives the lettering more depth, shows the fields as they are, but it also shows the coin as brassy. The culprit is yellow or lamp light.

The solution is simple: a piece of white paper. Use sunlight. Before you take the picture, look at it on the screen of your camera, conscious of colour and detail. Use the paper to block harsh light. Enjoy the changing picture as you move the paper in different positions. Move around the coin to see what gives the best results. Trust your eyes. When in doubt, take a few more pictures and decide which one to use only afterwards, when you see them on the largest screen you can project them on. Your coin is so good, it deserves the attention a photographer gives to a beautiful fashion model.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline falcon77

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
Thanks so much for the valuable tips! Actually this was under led light so I too am wondering about the yellow tint

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
LED may be white or yellow, called warm white or soft white. Yours is obviously yellow. I have experimented with white LED and found it produced blueish pictures of coins that could not be saved with colour correction. Your experience may differ.

You cannot beat sunlight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline falcon77

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »
Ok Peter i will try a photo under sunshine n post here

Offline falcon77

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 08:41:03 AM »
Ok so I took a photo in the sun (shaded place). I still don't understand why the colors are showing up. It's almost white silver the coin. Maybe I need to adjust camera.

Edit: I'll post again.

Offline falcon77

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
So here is another photo outside, in natural light! How is this? The coin is not bright but I like it! Thanks!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
Bright is not the normal state of a coin. The picture is excellent. It brings out the character of the coin. Its true colour is a bit of a surprise. Didn't think it would be so yellow. It may have been washed in milk and cleaned incompletely at some state of its life.

Also, you can now see that the coin has some wear. That is a positive to me: it shows that this coin was used in day-to-day trade. It wasn't someone's jewellery, worn once and tucked away for a century or so. All the more wondrous that the design comes out sharp and neat, telling the observer of the culture of an emperor who had a weakness for beauty.

The squares of love knots are simple, but not simplistic. They are space dividers that allow bigger letters all around, adding to the charm of the design. Look how the letters sometimes playfully cross the square, creating a three-dimensional effect.

Most of all, the coin is a source of fun. Who of the people you know can actually touch an object that was created by order of the man who also ordered the Taj Mahal to be built? You can extend the fun by reading about Shah Jahan and Bhakkar and imagine periods in the life of the coin. That fun never needs to end.

Peter

Offline falcon77

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 02:09:25 AM »
Hi Peter thanks so much for the detailed post! I still think the iphone camera or software is giving a yellowish tint as the coin itself is just pale silver color.

Also are you or anyone here able to read the text written on it? From the description I have:

Obverse: The Kalima Shahada within a square, around four Caliphs' names & Hijri date.

Reverse: Shahjahan Badshah Ghazi within a square, saheb-e-qiran sani Shihab ud-din Muhammad & full Bhakkar mint name.

Thanks!

Offline falcon77

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »
I don't know, took me 25 minutes to do some processing on my image editor and got this:

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 11:30:24 AM »
Don't worry about the time it took. Once you found what exactly to do, you can do it quickly. The 25 minutes is an investment that pays by better pictures and less time needed for future pictures. I have played with your sunlight picture. The result is attached. This is what I would expect the coin to look like, but since I don't know what it colour it is in reality, it is a fantasy colour. I just added some green and took off a tiny bit of blue, offsetting with colour brightness. The simplicity of the correction suggests that your camera may have a calibration problem, i.e. it doesn't "translate" natural colours into electronic colours correctly.

I suggest that you take a picture of a white, blank sheet of paper, preferably on a black background and see how it comes out. If it looks like parchment on the picture, take the phone back to the seller if it is new or covered by a guarantee or an electronics wizard when it's not. Show the picture and explain the problem. There may well be a setting or software to calibrate the camera.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:59:00 AM by Figleaf »

Offline falcon77

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
Wow thanks! I'll be checking my camera settings too as well as light settings and revert back!