Author Topic: Please help ID British token(?) with counterstamp  (Read 153 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Please help ID British token(?) with counterstamp
« on: March 01, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »
While the small flame counterstamp is interesting, I was also curious  about the host.

Not a coin, I'm sure, but what type of token is it? As you can see, the reverse is smooth with a well executed flame stamped on it. My thought was that it was used as a gaming token and the flame somehow identified the establishment where it was valid. I could be wrong and if so please correct me. I picked this up awhile ago in a small lot of British copper coins.

Thanks all.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Please help ID British token(?) with counterstamp
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »
Looks like an opium leaf. May have belonged to Sherlock Holmes for entry into a little known house in the darkest part of London, where no carriages ever come. On foggy days, the only sound was the anguished cry of a sea gull ... or was it something much more sinister ... ? ;)

Victorian medalet. Quite likely to be a gaming token with on the other side TO HANOVER 1837, duke of Cumberland as Saint George. If so, it should be around 23 mm, 2.75 grams.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:38:28 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:32:28 PM »
I'm going to do a DNA swab on the piece. If it turns out to have been from Sherlock Holmes I'll sell it and retire to my man cave. From there i'll depart on a journey of debauchery and other enjoyable pursuits.

As far as it being an opium leaf, I don't know nothin' 'bout that. I'll run your theory by some of my friends, Joey bag-of donuts in particular. He's in jail right now but I can wait until visiting day ;D

Seriously, I don't have the token in hand at the moment but 23 mm sounds about right.  Thanks, Peter.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »
This type of medalet was made as a card counter but many were made with a blank reverse and adapted as 'poor man's pub checks' usually showing the publicans countermarked initials or sometimes a design such as for instance a anchor, for the anchor pub, or a crown for the crown pub.

So look for a pub with this design ~ perhaps of an old flame? or a similar word that I can't think of! ???   ...the Lamp? ???
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:37:03 AM »
While I see a flame, I suppose it could be a leaf or something else. Its use as a card counter or pub token seems like the answer but trying to find out who issued it would be a real challenge.

Bruce
Always Faithful