Author Topic: finland coin with swastika  (Read 428 times)

Offline jezuss

finland coin with swastika
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:03:30 PM »
i got this picture from a friend.

it lokes like a finland coin, counterstamped with a swastika.

who knows the purpose of this counterstamp ?

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
Re: finland coin with swastika
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
I've seen this on fairly recent British coins, especially on pounds. The symbols are a bit different but still Nazi. I don't know the reason for sure but the stamps speak for themselves.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 11:13:47 AM »
Here's a picture of one. This seems to be a fairly recent event according to what I read online. Most have been seen in the UK, but a 2 euro was received in change by someone in Germany recently. Unfortunately, I've actually seen a few of these offered on online auctions. The whole thing is so offensive that it turns my stomach.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
A topic on Nazi related countermarks on modern UK coins will be released in the near future. Further euro coins countermarked with Nazi related symbols that have been found in general circulation can be seen here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:39:19 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »
Punches are not free and those interested in this trash are generally not rich. In addition, brainless neo-nazi supporters have flocked to nationalist and populist parties where they are welcome as "security agents" (read: getting away with roughing up people who disagree with the Great Leader.)

I can think of two scenarios. A neo-nazi party trying to generate free propaganda (less likely) or a purveyor to street market stalls that sell nazi stuff - most, if not all of it fake - to "collectors", like people coming in with a zinc 5 pfennig yelling I FOUND A NAZI COIN. ::)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 07:09:38 PM »
The hakaristi or swastika was used by the Finnish Air Force since the time of its inception somewhere around 1918. It can still be seen on some FAF patches although no longer on the planes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »
Punches are not free and those interested in this trash are generally not rich. In addition, brainless neo-nazi supporters have flocked to nationalist and populist parties where they are welcome as "security agents" (read: getting away with roughing up people who disagree with the Great Leader.)

I can think of two scenarios. A neo-nazi party trying to generate free propaganda (less likely) or a purveyor to street market stalls that sell nazi stuff - most, if not all of it fake - to "collectors", like people coming in with a zinc 5 pfennig yelling I FOUND A NAZI COIN. ::)

Peter
Very honestly, I think they're done primarily to make money.

There's a long history of counterstamping fantasy pieces   those espousing hatred, lost causes such as the American Confederacy, exotic locales such as the 19th century territorial issues, supposed California Gold Rush pieces, and on and on. There's not a wit of honesty in most of them, just a desire to deceive and thus make a profit.

These Nazi stamps may be different. It's difficult at best to gauge intent though. What ever the reason, it's reprehensible.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 11:28:59 PM »
The swastika in the first image could be a good lick symbol. it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s when it became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of the so-called Aryan race. As a result of World War II and the Holocaust, most people in Europe and the Americas now associate it with Nazism and anti-Semitism today.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.