Author Topic: NUR JAHAN - In Name of Jahangir - AH 1037 - RY 22 - PATNA RUPEE - Gem!!  (Read 188 times)

Offline jaspersaini

A beautiful gem, another addition to my collection. Nur Jahan Rupee, in name of Jahangir. 37 of 1037 is visible.
Floral pattern, with two test marks.

AH 1037RY 22, KM 168.5 - 11.33 Gm - 19.6 MM

YAFT COUPLET

OBV BA HUKUM SHAH JAHANGIR YAFT SAD ZEWAR,

REV BA NAAM NOOR JAHAN BEGUM ZAR BADSHAH ZARB PATNA.

Your comments are most welcome!!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Great piece of history, jaspersaini! My understanding is that Nur Jahan putting her name on a coin was pretty controversial. Are the "peripheral" mints harder to find than the "central" mints for this type? I would expect so, as I would expect that, the farther you are from the central government, the more freedom of action you could assume, while conservative clergy would have more influence.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Great piece of history, jaspersaini! My understanding is that Nur Jahan putting her name on a coin was pretty controversial. Are the "peripheral" mints harder to find than the "central" mints for this type? I would expect so, as I would expect that, the farther you are from the central government, the more freedom of action you could assume, while conservative clergy would have more influence.
Peter

Periferal Mints? Well Nur Jahan's coins are known from only six or may be seven mints. Patna is the most common followed by Surat. I have two from Surat but have been looking for a rupee of Ahmedabad which shows both AH & RY dates but have not succeeded for two years now. The other known mints are Agra, Akbarnagar, Allahabad (I believe the rarest) and Lahore. Gold and 1/2 rupees too are known from a few mints - Half rupees of AHmedabad & Surat, I have seen in Hand.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"