Author Topic: Egypt 50 piastres 1956 Evacuation of the British Silver Coin  (Read 1035 times)

Offline 1r-SC

Egypt 50 piastres 1956 Evacuation of the British Silver Coin
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
Hi guys, I’m new to the coin world. I just bought this 1956 Egypt silver coin a couple of days ago, what do you guys make of it? Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Egypt 50 piastres 1956 Evacuation of the British Silver Coin
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
Since your coin is dated 1956, it is a modern coin. Modern coins are extensively catalogued. Perhaps the most used catalogue is Krause and Mishler's World Coins, which covers the last 420 years or so in five tomes, one for each century. The catalogue number for this coin is KM 386. There are also online catalogues. You can find technical details on your coins, from the most obvious (it is round) to the more accomplished, such as a transliteration and translation of the Arabic texts. One of those online catalogues is Numista. You can find your coin here.

Outside Egypt, the events that led to the issue of this coin is known as the Suez crisis. The coin treats it as an Egyptian victory. In reality, it was a victory of the diplomacy of the USSR and the US over that of Britain and France. However, it is true that the Suez debacle turned Britain into a second rate power (France already had that status since 1939), subservient to the US, while the USSR gained significantly in its international status. In addition, the Suez canal became the subject of a number of Israeli-Arab wars. They stopped only as pipelines and supertankers (VLCC and ULCC) replaced Suezmax tankers.

In today's terminology, the message of this coin would be branded as "fake news". At the time, it was called propaganda. However, you need to keep in mind that at the time, colonialism was still in full swing and newly independent countries had to create a modern nation, where all the inhabitants would feel part of. That was not always easy. A military victory (even an imagined one) helped to achieve that. Whether it is a good idea in the long run is another question.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline 1r-SC

Re: Egypt 50 piastres 1956 Evacuation of the British Silver Coin
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:09:13 PM »
@Figleaf Thank you so much for the detailed reply, much has been learned. Good Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk