Author Topic: Encased Farthings  (Read 726 times)

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Encased Farthing Collector
    • ENCASED FARTHINGS
Re: Encased Farthings
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
I have just one that is not in your collection although you have it listed in the catalogue.

Good Luck from La Scala Oxford Rd, Manchester rev. Keep me and you will never be broke J.R.G. 1929 farthing.

Hi Malcolm sorry for not replying sooner. Really nice example of the La Scala. I don't suppose its available for sale as you say its an example that I do not have in my collection, rather envious. As you say there is an example in the catalogue section of the website. Although I did notice that your example is of a date that as up to now has not been recorded, so unusual in that respect. You will see that on every example in the catalogue I have added all the dates of the coins known to exist, so will be adding your date to the La Scala section.

Always interested in any other examples of dated farthings that have not been recorded to add information to the website. And thank you for sharing your example with us.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• ENCASED FARTHINGS
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
Hi Mick. Nice to see you here. What do you think of this one? German Motor Cycle Riders Union, if I've translated correctly.

Hi Bagerap thanks for the welcome. Nice example would it be ok if I use the images for my world section on my website I do hope that this would be ok.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• ENCASED FARTHINGS
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 01:47:13 PM »
An example from the Netherlands. This is one of the three types that are know (Kooy catalog). Not a farthing of course but the smallest coin in circulation, a 1/2 cent dated  1903. This is the only year known in this type of encasement.

The Grand Hotel Coomans was a well known hotel in Rotterdam, located at Hoofdsteeg 12 - 22. It dates from 1874. The hotel had 70 rooms (at that time), a restaurant, reading room etc. The hotel was modernised in 1930 and expanded to 270 rooms. The building was destroyed during the bombing of Rotterdam in 1940. The building, and street, no longer exist.

Hi Henk nice example from the netherlands would it be ok for me to use your images to add to my world section of the website please.

Offline Henk

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »
A picture of the Hotel copied from a guide book issued by the hotel, undated but ca 1910.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 11:51:34 PM »

Hi Malcolm sorry for not replying sooner. Really nice example of the La Scala. I don't suppose its available for sale as you say its an example that I do not have in my collection, rather envious. As you say there is an example in the catalogue section of the website. Although I did notice that your example is of a date that as up to now has not been recorded, so unusual in that respect. You will see that on every example in the catalogue I have added all the dates of the coins known to exist, so will be adding your date to the La Scala section.

Always interested in any other examples of dated farthings that have not been recorded to add information to the website. And thank you for sharing your example with us.

I shall let you have it eventually although it may be several months before I venture out to the post office given the current situation.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• ENCASED FARTHINGS
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
I shall let you have it eventually although it may be several months before I venture out to the post office given the current situation.

Hi Malc that really sounds good to me. please let me know when you are able to let me have the La Scala Encased Farthing. I would be pleased to add it too my collection and would treasure it. Many thanks for the opportunity to own this piece. As always I am interested in any other Encased Farthings for my collection I do not already have, along with any documentation, pictures or history of said pieces that may turn up.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• ENCASED FARTHINGS
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 08:51:17 PM »
Well i haven't posted much recently about my Encased Farthing Collection so thought I would share my latest acquisition with you. This particular example has been extremely difficult to acquire. This example I managed to buy from a dealer in the USA it's not the best example I have seen, as the obverse shows signs of rubbing to Edward VII head. At least I now have an example for the collection. It's also unusual in the fact that it is the only known example of the British Encased Farthings that has a milled edge, all the others are just plain.

I of course will still be looking for a better example if at all possible. So if you ever come across one please get in touch.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 10:48:11 PM »
Unusual, but not unheard of. Making a reeded edge is a complication, inviting Murphy to apply his law. However, if it works well, it helps keeping the pill/farthing in place.

Horse bettors will sometimes hold a "lucky coin" during the race and rub it with their thumb. Thee patina will re-appear as long as you don't put thee contraption in an air tight container. The filthier the air, the faster this works. You can also make a chemical patina, but you'll run the risk that it can be rubbed off very easily.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.