Encased Farthings

Started by UPINSMOKE, February 20, 2020, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: malj1 on March 23, 2020, 05:19:02 AM
I have just one that is not in your collection although you have it listed in the catalogue.

Good Luck from La Scala Oxford Rd, Manchester rev. Keep me and you will never be broke J.R.G. 1929 farthing.

Hi Malcolm sorry for not replying sooner. Really nice example of the La Scala. I don't suppose its available for sale as you say its an example that I do not have in my collection, rather envious. As you say there is an example in the catalogue section of the website. Although I did notice that your example is of a date that as up to now has not been recorded, so unusual in that respect. You will see that on every example in the catalogue I have added all the dates of the coins known to exist, so will be adding your date to the La Scala section.

Always interested in any other examples of dated farthings that have not been recorded to add information to the website. And thank you for sharing your example with us.

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: bagerap on March 09, 2020, 01:54:15 AM
Hi Mick. Nice to see you here. What do you think of this one? German Motor Cycle Riders Union, if I've translated correctly.

Hi Bagerap thanks for the welcome. Nice example would it be ok if I use the images for my world section on my website I do hope that this would be ok.

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: Henk on March 29, 2020, 05:06:41 PM
An example from the Netherlands. This is one of the three types that are know (Kooy catalog). Not a farthing of course but the smallest coin in circulation, a 1/2 cent dated  1903. This is the only year known in this type of encasement.

The Grand Hotel Coomans was a well known hotel in Rotterdam, located at Hoofdsteeg 12 - 22. It dates from 1874. The hotel had 70 rooms (at that time), a restaurant, reading room etc. The hotel was modernised in 1930 and expanded to 270 rooms. The building was destroyed during the bombing of Rotterdam in 1940. The building, and street, no longer exist.

Hi Henk nice example from the netherlands would it be ok for me to use your images to add to my world section of the website please.

Henk

A picture of the Hotel copied from a guide book issued by the hotel, undated but ca 1910.

malj1

Quote from: UPINSMOKE on April 06, 2020, 01:31:43 PM

Hi Malcolm sorry for not replying sooner. Really nice example of the La Scala. I don't suppose its available for sale as you say its an example that I do not have in my collection, rather envious. As you say there is an example in the catalogue section of the website. Although I did notice that your example is of a date that as up to now has not been recorded, so unusual in that respect. You will see that on every example in the catalogue I have added all the dates of the coins known to exist, so will be adding your date to the La Scala section.

Always interested in any other examples of dated farthings that have not been recorded to add information to the website. And thank you for sharing your example with us.

I shall let you have it eventually although it may be several months before I venture out to the post office given the current situation.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

UPINSMOKE

Quote from: malj1 on April 09, 2020, 11:51:34 PM
I shall let you have it eventually although it may be several months before I venture out to the post office given the current situation.

Hi Malc that really sounds good to me. please let me know when you are able to let me have the La Scala Encased Farthing. I would be pleased to add it too my collection and would treasure it. Many thanks for the opportunity to own this piece. As always I am interested in any other Encased Farthings for my collection I do not already have, along with any documentation, pictures or history of said pieces that may turn up.

UPINSMOKE

Well i haven't posted much recently about my Encased Farthing Collection so thought I would share my latest acquisition with you. This particular example has been extremely difficult to acquire. This example I managed to buy from a dealer in the USA it's not the best example I have seen, as the obverse shows signs of rubbing to Edward VII head. At least I now have an example for the collection. It's also unusual in the fact that it is the only known example of the British Encased Farthings that has a milled edge, all the others are just plain.

I of course will still be looking for a better example if at all possible. So if you ever come across one please get in touch.

Figleaf

Unusual, but not unheard of. Making a reeded edge is a complication, inviting Murphy to apply his law. However, if it works well, it helps keeping the pill/farthing in place.

Horse bettors will sometimes hold a "lucky coin" during the race and rub it with their thumb. Thee patina will re-appear as long as you don't put thee contraption in an air tight container. The filthier the air, the faster this works. You can also make a chemical patina, but you'll run the risk that it can be rubbed off very easily.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Quote from: Figleaf on March 09, 2020, 11:47:18 AM
dein Talisman bin ich fürwahr,
ich bring dir glück ins neue Jahr.

These lines have the same rhythm and rhyme as a well-known passage from Die Zauberflöte.

Der Vogelfänger bin ich ja
Stets lustig heissa hopsasa!

You could sing the Talisman lines with Mozart's music. Coincidence?

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I just came across this encased farthing from the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo. Can anyone translate the words on the encasement?

Bruce
Always Faithful

bagerap

The top line is Irish Gaelic for 100,000 welcomes but I can't for the life of me translate the bottom.
Your coin is listed here as EC09:
http://www.encasedcoins.info/pan_am_lavin.html

FosseWay

Given the lower phrase (I'll get to that in a minute), I think it's Scottish Gaelic rather than Irish. But either way it is appallingly spelled!

Ceud mìle fàilte does indeed mean 100,000 welcomes, just as it does in Irish, though the spelling is a bit different.

The lower phrase I think is trying to say deoch an doruis, frequently in the past Anglicised in a toe-curling fashion as "Jock and Doris" and similar, which literally means "a drink at the door" and is symbolic of Highland hospitality. It's a final drink taken "at the door" before a guest departs, kind of "one for the road". As far as I know it's a specifically Scottish thing, rather than Irish or generally Celtic, hence my suggestion this is Scottish Gaelic. It's not possible from the mangled spelling to work out whether its author intended Scottish or Irish, or indeed whether they had a clue there is a difference!

My Highland ancestors would be turning in their graves...

Edit: I've just seen the shamrocks, which does of course strongly argue for Ireland. My guess is the third option in my previous paragraph - the creator hasn't got a clue!

brandm24

Quote from: bagerap on February 26, 2021, 07:33:33 PM
The top line is Irish Gaelic for 100,000 welcomes but I can't for the life of me translate the bottom.
Your coin is listed here as EC09:
http://www.encasedcoins.info/pan_am_lavin.html
Great reference, bagerap. It's hard to believe there are so many varieties and even some different shapes issued at the exposition. I imagine collecting just all the encased coins would be challenging, not to mention all the other souvenirs that were issued.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

My Highland ancestors would be turning in their graves...

[/quote]
Mine too :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

For interesting background of "cead mille failte" see here.

Peter