News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Encased Farthings

Started by UPINSMOKE, February 20, 2020, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPINSMOKE

As you may or may-not know I have been collecting Encased Farthings for around 2 years now. I have been working on a dedicated Website to showcase these interesting pieces. I have been helped by two other collectors of encased farthings from Canada and the USA, and also with the help from several other kind contributors. I am now at a point where the website is up and running, so would like some feedback on what you all think of it so far. You can find the Website here Encased Farthings – Collecting Encased Farthings – My Encased Farthing I do hope you can take the time to have a look and give me some feedback.

I of course welcome any contributions  to this project. If you have any other information, pictures to add. I do hope you enjoy your visit.

Regards Mick

malj1

Looking good,  8)

I'm too busy today (its Friday here) so will have a further look on Monday and check those I have but doubt I have anything new to you!  ::).
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

brandm24

Welcome to WoC, Mick, it's good to see you here. You can obviously contribute much towards our understanding of encased coins in general. I took a quick look at your website and like what I see, but like Mal, I'll have to take a closer look when time permits.

I have a number of encased pieces among my collection of exonumia but all are US issues and most advertise numismatic organizations, collectors or dealers. Probably nothing you would be interested in.

Kindest regards,

Bruce
Always Faithful

eurocoin

Welcome on the forum. The website looks good.

bagerap

Hi Mick. Nice to see you here. What do you think of this one? German Motor Cycle Riders Union, if I've translated correctly.

Figleaf

Translation correct. Here is a translation of the legend on the ring on the other side:

dein Talisman bin ich fürwahr,
ich bring dir glück ins neue Jahr.

I am your talisman, I tell you,
I bring you luck in the new year.

That explains the clover leaf at the bottom. The date of the coin prolly means that the new year in question was 1925.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Finally got round to researching this one. Found something similar on Cointalk six years ago which enabled me to label it as a Lauer product. Bruce, you and Christian both commented on that particular piece.

A German collector has told me that this is a very scarce item.

brandm24

Quote from: bagerap on March 14, 2020, 05:13:55 PM
Finally got round to researching this one. Found something similar on Cointalk six years ago which enabled me to label it as a Lauer product. Bruce, you and Christian both commented on that particular piece.

A German collector has told me that this is a very scarce item.

I don't recall the thread on CoinTalk, bagerap. Do you have a link?

Bruce
Always Faithful

malj1

Can you explain the initials on the horseshoe? ???
Malcolm

Figleaf

Ges(etzlich) Gesch(ützt) - literally: protected by the law. Patented.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have just one that is not in your collection although you have it listed in the catalogue.

Good Luck from La Scala Oxford Rd, Manchester rev. Keep me and you will never be broke J.R.G. 1929 farthing.
Malcolm

malj1

I don't think he is coming back ?

I found these other pages Good Luck Tokens from Africa ...and elsewhere and Souvenir encased or ringed Farthing?

There are also 32 different US types in the latest ANS auction closing in two weeks. Let me know if interested.
Malcolm

Henk

An example from the Netherlands. This is one of the three types that are know (Kooy catalog). Not a farthing of course but the smallest coin in circulation, a 1/2 cent dated  1903. This is the only year known in this type of encasement.

The Grand Hotel Coomans was a well known hotel in Rotterdam, located at Hoofdsteeg 12 - 22. It dates from 1874. The hotel had 70 rooms (at that time), a restaurant, reading room etc. The hotel was modernised in 1930 and expanded to 270 rooms. The building was destroyed during the bombing of Rotterdam in 1940. The building, and street, no longer exist.

Figleaf

Text:

UW.TALISMAN. BEN.IK.VOORWAAR-
IK.BRENG.UW.GELUK.DOORT.GANSCHE.JAAR

I am your talisman, I tell you,
I bring you luck during the whole year.

Compare the text on the piece in Reply #4.

The text on the horseshoe is Van ROOY ROTTerdam. A. T. van Rooy had an engraving and rubber stamp making shop on Passage 7-8, Rotterdam. This building was also destroyed in the bombing of Rotterdam in 1940. The illustrations are from an item in the collection of Museum Rotterdam.

Peter