Author Topic: Masonic countermarks  (Read 190 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Masonic countermarks
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:37:23 AM »
Two US one cent coins countermarked with Masonic symbols.

The first one is nicely done ending in a very nice dish shape, the other was hit a bit too hard although the resulting image is ok.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Masonic countermarks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
I have a set of about a dozen of this type of Masonic coins, all on US cents as yours is. Each one has a different symbol on it I'll have to look them up and post a picture or two.

This 1964 US nickel is much different and I don't know exactly how it was made. The double image on the reverse is also a puzzle. It has a nice look though, especially since some details of the coin can still be seen. Sorry the pictures aren't great but I had trouble resizing them.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:12:45 PM »
The second image looks to have been struck twice although I can't really see what it is I'm looking at! ???

BTW when resizing the images crop the unnecessary stuff away first and the file will become much more manageable.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
The second image looks to have been struck twice although I can't really see what it is I'm looking at! ???

BTW when resizing the images crop the unnecessary stuff away first and the file will become much more manageable.

Generally I don't have a problem resizing, but this one I did. I think it may have been that the file was small to begin with and by resizing I messed it up.

I was never sure how these were made with the doubling of the reverse being especially puzzling. I have a second coin in this style also, but not as nice as this one. No doubling on it though.

Bruce

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
Here's a Masonic piece I've had for a long from a lodge in Syracuse, NY. I think this is probably from the 1880's or so. There's no detail left of the undertype but I believe it's an old Large Cent. Until I really studied this one closely, I assumed it to be a prepared punch but not anymore. The lettering, while neatly applied, shows enough variations that suggests individual punches. The Masonic symbol is from a seperate punch.

Surprisingly, I never discovered who Mr. Norton was. It's been such a long time maybe I should revisit it and search a bit more.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:39:00 PM »
More hammered pennies

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:41:35 PM »
I was initially puzzled by Nos 1 & 3 until I realised that in the UK we refer to a stick, whereas in the US it's a cane.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »
More hammered pennies
Looks very much like the set I have also stamped on Lincoln Cents. There's about a dozen total that I bought from a collector in Florida about ten years ago. Each example has a different Masonic symbol on it.

Bruce
Always Faithful