Author Topic: A beautiful little counterstamp  (Read 170 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
A beautiful little counterstamp
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »
I bought this piece several years ago because I thought it was so unusual and appealing.

Apparently, it's a representation of a flower made from striking four impressions from the same stamp in a neat little circle. The reverse shows two side by side strikes of the same punch. The smooth 1820's (?) US large cent is the perfect substrate. I'd bypassed this piece at auction a number of times but kept coming back to it because it was so appealing. I think it's a great example of an early die cutters expression of beauty.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A beautiful little counterstamp
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
The pair of flowers on the reverse suggest a love token to me. Something like "you and me oughtta have three children; it'd be beautiful". Perhaps someone with a flowery last name?

Little anecdote. My son's initials are AK. His wife's first name starts with an A and their two daughters have a first name starting with A. We refer to them as AK4, the parents alone as AK2. Short, clear, efficient, yet affectionate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
That would certainly be a unique love token. I hadn't thought of that.

A cute reference to your son and his family...AK4. Concise and affectionate. Mine would be a little more complicated as I have three children. Our initials together are B, M, D, N, M.  I suppose BNDM2 would work, though a bit awkward. We have nicknames for all of our children, so maybe we'll just leave it at that. :) :)

These are the kinds of counterstamps that really appeal to me. Pictorials are fun as often the meaning isn't obvious. Generally, you never find out, but the paths your imagination leads you down are interesting. I think I'll change the description of this one from "Flowers" to "Love Token?"

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »
Hello
Me i know "AK 47" but is not the same ;is just a joke
Best regards Gerard

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
Two grandchildren are great fun, Gérard, but even though I could handle more, 45 grandchildren clearly amounts to cruel and unusual punishment :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 06:05:20 PM »
Two grandchildren are great fun, Gérard, but even though I could handle more, 45 grandchildren clearly amounts to cruel and unusual punishment :P

Peter
...And to an early grave, Peter.

Bruce
Always Faithful