Bengal Sultanate Rukn alDin Barbak Tugra type - Mint identification and overlay

Started by et, February 13, 2020, 02:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

et

Dear all,

I've never seen a line drawing or overlay of the mint "Sajla Mankhabad". (Or is it "Mankahbad"? both spellings were used in this forum)

Could someone please Id the G&G type and confirm/overlay the mints in the following coins? any help with reading the reverse legend will also be much appreciated.
I've underlined where I thought I could see a mint.

et

May I also throw two more Tugra style coins in the fray. My inexperienced eyes can't make much of them. For the experts here though, I'm sure, a passing glimpse will suffice.

THCoins

Hi Et, welcome to WoC ! You make a grand entry with posting these nice specimen. Unfortunately i don't know much about the coinage of Bengal, but some other members will probably chime in shortly !

Anthony

Figleaf

Welcome to WoC, et. We have world class experts on Bengal coins among our members. They are S. M. Iftekhar Alam and nnasir. However, both are taken up by working on a new catalogue of Bengal coins to replace Goron/Goenka. I suggest you send them a PM.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

nnasir

Quote from: et on February 13, 2020, 02:57:04 PM
Dear all,

I've never seen a line drawing or overlay of the mint "Sajla Mankhabad". (Or is it "Mankahbad"? both spellings were used in this forum)

Both reading is plausible but I prefer to read as "Mankahbad". It is not listed in G&G but later published by SM Iftekhar Alam, ONS Newsletter No. 169, Autumn 2001.

Rgds
Noman Nasir

nnasir

Quote from: et on February 13, 2020, 03:37:56 PM
May I also throw two more Tugra style coins in the fray. My inexperienced eyes can't make much of them. For the experts here though, I'm sure, a passing glimpse will suffice.

The first one is Muazzamabad (probably with epthet "Iqlim"). The second one is not clear as the image looks very blurred. Pls post a better image.

Rgds
Noman

S. M. Iftekhar Alam

Correct pronunciation of the mint should be Mankahbad.
Thanks for showing the images. One is from Iqlim Mu'azzamabad as correctly mentioned by Noman Nasir.
Rgds,
Iftekhar

et

Quote from: nnasir on February 15, 2020, 03:53:10 PM
Both reading is plausible but I prefer to read as "Mankahbad". It is not listed in G&G but later published by SM Iftekhar Alam, ONS Newsletter No. 169, Autumn 2001.

Rgds
Noman Nasir

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me and especially to Mr Noman Nasir for referencing the initial publication of the mint.

It is difficult though, to read the "Mankah (منكه) or Mankha (منخا)" part of the mint name, except in a couple of specimen.
After examining my two coins along with another three coins posted elsewhere in this forum (http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,25063.msg164951.html#msg164951, http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,25064.msg165777.html#msg165777, http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,3688.msg24623.html#msg24623) and the four specimen featured in G&G (B502, B503, B530 and B548), it appears that only B548 can be sufficiently clearly read as Mankah. The م (Meem) at the beginning of منكه (Mankah) is almost universally absent. If one of the experts/advanced collectors could share a specimen with a more legible م, that'll be great.

As for the English spelling "Mankha....", I'm not sure what justifies it. Based on its phonetic cues, the equivalent Arabic spelling of Mankha would resemble something like منخا. But in the very limited number of examples I've seen so far, there's nothing to substantiate a خ (Kh). I'm sure the seniors can elucidate further but, for the time being, Mr Noman Nasir's preference of منكه (Mankah) seems to be way to go.

et

Quote from: S. M. Iftekhar Alam on February 16, 2020, 12:20:58 PM
Correct pronunciation of the mint should be Mankahbad.
Thanks for showing the images. One is from Iqlim Mu'azzamabad as correctly mentioned by Noman Nasir.
Rgds,
Iftekhar

And now that we have confirmation from S. M. Iftekhar Alam, Mankahbad seems official!

et

Quote from: nnasir on February 15, 2020, 03:57:19 PM
The first one is Muazzamabad (probably with epthet "Iqlim"). The second one is not clear as the image looks very blurred. Pls post a better image.
Rgds
Noman
Quote from: S. M. Iftekhar Alam on February 16, 2020, 12:20:58 PM
One is from Iqlim Mu'azzamabad as correctly mentioned by Noman Nasir.
Rgds,
Iftekhar

Heartfelt Thanks to Mr Noman and Mr Iftekhar for suggesting Iqlim Mu'azzamabad.
I've done some overlay on the following coin (coin #4 in my first post with a very nice obverse) where Red is my reading of the text and Blue is me filling in the blanks. I can sort of see the end of a mint as باد... (--Bad or ---Abad). Please comment on its mint possibilities.

S. M. Iftekhar Alam

Hello,
I believe this is from Dar al-Darb though not very clear due to crudeness and chisel mark. What you are reading as "bad" is actually part of "darb".
Rgds,
Iftekhar

et

Quote from: S. M. Iftekhar Alam on February 17, 2020, 05:27:42 PM
Hello,
I believe this is from Dar al-Darb though not very clear due to crudeness and chisel mark. What you are reading as "bad" is actually part of "darb".
Rgds,
Iftekhar
That's excellent coin-reading skill Mr Iftekhar. Thank you.
I've changed the overlay to reflect your suggestion.
Regards
e.t.

et

Quote from: S. M. Iftekhar Alam on February 18, 2020, 12:38:10 AM
Perfect line drawing!

I did the line drawing in Microsoft Paint using a mouse. Doing it on a touch-enabled device like Surface pro using a stylus should give much better control and results. I wonder whether you'll provide line drawing in the upcoming edition of Bengal Sultanate.

et

To do some justice to the thread topic, below are line drawings of the mints identified so far. If the experts point out anomalies or missing bits, rest of us - I'm sure - could learn from it.