Author Topic: A hammered Greek coin or medallion?  (Read 397 times)

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
A hammered Greek coin or medallion?
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
I'm puzzled with this piece, can't find info nor anything similar online. At first it reminds a lot on the Venetian provincial coinage but then again it's not Venetian and it might not even be contemporary. Googling Greek word seen on the eagle side does not yield any results.

Quite thin coin, bronze or copper, diameter of 22-24mm.

I'm grateful for any help  :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A hammered Greek coin or medallion?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »
The bi-cephalic eagle is the emblem of the Greek catholic church. It is a continuation of Byzantine symbolism. I think the legend is two words, the second of which is ΙΣΑΚΙΟΥ. I have problems with the first word. The third letter is unknown to me, the fourth is inverted. ΙΣΑΚΙΟΥ should be spelled ΙΣΑΑΚΙΟΥ. Either the Greek catholic church uses its own variant of Greek (not at all impossible) or whoever wrote the legend was semi-literate.

My best guess is that the first word is ΛΟξΗ. If so, the whole legend would mean something like "Isaac's word". I can't figure out the legend on the other side.

A number of Greek churches used church tokens to keep strangers (read: Turkish spies) out.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
Re: A hammered Greek coin or medallion?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:34:07 AM »
Thank you Peter. My first guess, based on the eagle with a cross, was also a religious medallion, as a part of identity to a society or a cult (secret against the Ottoman) or something similar, as you stated.

Errors in cutting dies may be possible, as N is inverted (or H as it might be your educated guess, I have no knowledge on Greek except I can read letters pretty well). Third letter seems like regular Y to me. But it does not make sense.

The other side is worn out but I see weird stuff like U (Or upside down omega).