Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 112 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
Help please!
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:34:14 AM »
I'm trying to help a friend identify this token. Since I have no real idea what it may be, I thought I'd turn to the experts here.

These are the best pictures I can get since I don't have it in hand to examine or photograph. He tells me it's 18mm brass and, apparently, double or triple struck. Of course that makes it very difficult to identify any of the devices. The "1/2 Real" denomination is clear as is the 13 stars circling a sunburst(?) or center star. The rest is a muddle. He says he sees the word "Paris" or "Parise", but I'm having difficulty with that.

He suggested that perhaps this is a Hacienda Token of South or Central America, and I don't discount that possibility. There's a good reference written by Russ Rulau on the subject but I don't have a copy. If anyone can shed some light on this token it will be much appreciated.

Thank you all

Bruce
Bruce

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Help please!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »
I was just examining the pictures again and was wondering if it were struck over a coin or another token. I can see shadow lettering underneath the reverse star pattern, but that might just be a result of the doubling. Just a thought.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »
I'm certain that this is a Hacienda token and that I've seen it before. It's probably not in Rulau, the majority are not. A Colombian named Ignacio Henau has written a few booklets on this type of token, but I can't remember titles I'm afraid.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:05:35 PM »
Agreed on this being a much maligned Hacienda token. I think the denomination side is double struck and the other side is overstruck. The only part of the text on the reverse I can make any sense of is ARGA, which occurs in this list in the names NARGAVAN and (more likely) VARGAS.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.