Author Topic: Anyone know horses here?  (Read 479 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Anyone know horses here?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 12:46:53 AM »
Pretty good, Bruce. I am especially impressed that you identified the host. With the third horse and second anchor you got practically everything figured out and it is clear that what little is left is not part of the original design.

We have no chance of figuring out what the owner of a few punches wanted to express 250 years ago, of course, but that leaves me free to make the wildest of guesses. How about this: they were not punches the vandal was trying out on this poor, innocent coin, but leather stamps. They were meant to decorate horse gear with lucky/sporty symbols. Van Dale had inherited them, didn't know what they were for and tried the first thing coming up in the dusty, dark place between his ears.

Peter
A better wild guess than I have, Peter.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »
Rather than start another thread I thought I'd add this one here since both are stamped with horses.

My first thought on this was it might be a military logo or symbol. I searched high and low but didn't come up with anything even close. It seems more likely now that it's a private company's logo. The stamp is on a 1923 US Peace Dollar.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »
I have two open questions on that c/s. The less important one is whether the horse is trotting, jumping or rearing. In view of the position of the front hoofs, I have a preference for rearing, but I am not sure. The more important problem is what are the oversize matches doing there? I rejected my first impression, an obstacle in jumping, both because the horse would fail the obstacle in this position (horses don't fail, their riders fail) and because there is a lump on one side of the lines only. I have no idea what these lines represent.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:33:46 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »
It is the logo of arms manufacturer Colt. They have used a number of variants over the years starting in the early 20th century.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »
No wonder it makes no sense.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »
It is the logo of arms manufacturer Colt. They have used a number of variants over the years starting in the early 20th century.
Many thanks, eurocoin. After thinking about it for awhile, I'd come around to thinking that it might be a modern silver manufacturer's stamp. Obviously, I didn't find anything in my research. Never in a million years would I think to look for an arms maker.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »
I did a little looking around to see if I could find the reason for and meaning of the Colt logo.

The symbol is modeled after the Colt family coat of arms and dates back to medieval England. In historic heraldry the horse is a symbol of loyalty and service to a monarch. The broken lance or spear carried by the horse symbolizes a fallen knight and the animal's attempt to protect him.

The Colt logo changed very little over the years being modernized only.

Bruce
Always Faithful